Chapter 13 - Grilled

Oscar: Look behind you...

What? I texted back.

When he didn't respond right away, I turned around and leaned side to side, trying to see past the other passengers waiting behind me in the airport security line. It was early Friday afternoon and I was getting ready to fly out to New Mexico for my competition with my mom. Just when I was about to text him again to ask what he meant, I spotted his head of blonde surfer curls. 

Oscar waved at me with that adorable dimpled smile, making my heart skip a beat. When I waved back my mom noticed the motion and followed my gaze over to Oscar. 

"Is that who I think it is?" she asked, sounding like she was getting ready to lecture me. 

"Yeah!" I exclaimed. 

"What, may I ask is he doing here?" she crossed her arms and raised her eyebrow. She had told me that she was fine with me seeing Oscar and that she wanted to meet him again, but I have a feeling this was not how she planned to do so. 

"Oh," I blushed, "I might have forgotten to mention that he's coming to see me compete this weekend," I held up my hand to stop her from saying anything, "before you get mad, he had purchased the tickets way before I even knew who he was."

"Were you planning on telling me any of this before we landed?" 

"Yes, I knew that he was going to be there tomorrow to watch the competition but I had no idea that he would be flying out at the same time as us. I promise," I smiled, shrugging my shoulders,  "he's the type of guy that likes to plan surprises." 

"You can say that again," my mom chuckled. "I will say that he is rather brave coming this weekend since he will now be sitting with both your father and me while you climb. He gets to meet both of us at once," my mom smiled conspiratorially. 

"You are going to be nice to him right? He can be rather shy sometimes," I asked. 

"We'll see."

"Mom," I chided. 

"Oh look! It's our turn," she exclaimed, slipping off her shoes and placing them into the plastic bin, effectively ending the conversation. 

Once we both made it through security, we waiting for Oscar to make it through so that we could walk to our gate together. My mom was busy answering work emails which left me free to admire my boyfriend from a distance. 

Oscar kept looking over at me, winking and smiling as he placed his belonging into the plastic bins. When he came out on the other side of the metal detector he showcased his pair of socks before grabbing his shoes off the conveyor belt. He was wearing his traveling socks which had little airplanes and clouds on them. Whenever he went on vacation with his family he would often email pictures of him wearing those exact socks, claiming that they always brought him safe travels. 

He's going to need them if he is going to survive my mom while we wait to board the plane. 

He shouldered his carry on bag and gave me and look before taking a deep breath, smiling, and joining us. "Hi, Mrs. Boyden. Lana," he greeted. There was a slight hint of nervousness in his voice which, if you ask me, made him even cuter. 

He reached out to shake my mom's hand, and I swear she hesitated just long enough to mess with him a little. Once she finally took his hands in hers, "it's nice to finally get a proper introduction this time." 

A small blush of embarrassment rose to his cheeks, "Yeah, um, sorry about that. I really didn't plan on having everything happen that way."

"What way? Having my daughter out all night without my permission? Only to get caught dropping her off at 11 in the morning?"