Chapter 15 - Competition Day

"Well, that went better than I thought it would," I smiled up at Oscar as we walked hand-in-hand from the cafe'. This morning we all got up at the crack of dawn to go to the dinner a couple of blocks away from the hotel for breakfast. My dad met us there since his flight got in early this morning so my mom, Oscar, and I all piled into the rental car together. 

I thought for sure my dad would pepper Oscar with questions just the way my mom had but he ended up embarrassing me by being all lovey-dovey with his wife. They acted like a bunch of lovesick teenagers the way he kept kissing her cheek and playing with her hair. I thought for sure I was about to throw up at one point but thankfully I was able to keep my breakfast down while shooting daggers at them in attempts to get them to stop. 

Other than the PDA from my parents, the breakfast was pretty casual and it seemed like my dad wasn't upset that Oscar had invited himself along to the competition. In fact, my dad invited him and his family over for dinner next weekend which meant that my parents officially approved of my first, and hopefully last, boyfriend. 

"I think so too, your dad is really nice," Oscar smiled to himself.

"Honey, do you need to grab anything from the room before you check in with the registrar?"

"Nope! I have everything pack and in the trunk of the rental car," I informed my mom. 

"Do you want to drive the rental car over to the competition with Oscar?" she asked. 

I nodded my head in agreement, there was no way I was going to pass on the opportunity to have some alone time with Oscar.

"Actually, I was planning on having Oscar ride with me," my dad instructed. "Your mother mentioned a certain question he had asked her and I wanted to talk with him about it."

"Can't you do that while you wait for the competition to start?" I asked. 

The look my father gave me told that there was no arguing with him on this one. I squeezed Oscar's hand, "I'll see you after the first round," I smiled, "good luck."

"Shouldn't I being saying that to you?" he mused.

"Nope, I am not the one getting stuck in the car with my dad. But if you let me know what you asked my mom the other day I might be able to help you survive it?"

Oscar chuckled, "nice try, but I am not going to fall for that attempt to ruin the surprise."

I rolled my eyes, kissed him on the cheek, and slid into the passenger seat of the car praying sad that Oscar would tell me his surprise.  

______________________

"Did you ever get a hold of the people in charge of the competition to complain about these new uniforms and that horrendous photo shoot?" I asked Erin, as I turned around to examine the lack of attire on me in the mirror. 

"They said that they would get back to me as soon as possible. As you can see, that obviously never happened," Erin grumbled, pulling at the edge of her shorts to try and pull them down a little. "At least my boyfriend thinks I can pull it off," she mused. 

"You can literally pull off any outfit you're in. It's insane how hot you are," noted Nat. 

Erin waved her off like it was a joke but you could tell she was happy to have been given the compliment. She could tell because she stood a little taller when she looked back in the mirror. 

"Do you think we would get in trouble if we changed out of these and into our own clothes?" Tess asked. 

"I think we would all get disqualified or something for not wearing the regulation uniforms," Madison informed, always the one with the rules somehow memorized.