Chapter 11 - The new beginning

"I wish I were a little girl again, because skinned knees are easier to fix than broken heart."

Alejandro's POV

She nodded, giving me a warm smile, and we went to the study room.

"I will lead my father's company." I stated in an authoritative tone as I placed my hand into my pocket, looking into her eyes with a blank expression.

"I am so happy for your decision." She said honestly and smiled happily. "Your...father always wanted that one day you would lead the company." She added.

I gave her a mocking look and commented. "Unfortunately, he couldn't see it himself."

"Alejandro..." My mother gave me a sad look. "I know you are still angry at me, but I regret it. I can't do everything to change my past. It is impossible as much as I want." She added and breathed deeply.

"Whatever!" I said dryly and ran my hand through my hair. "I will say a goodbye to Lucia and leave." I informed.

"Where are you going? Don't you want to get some rest? I ordered the maid to prepare your bedroom." She said, excited.

"You didn't have to. I will not stay here." I stated dryly. "I suppose you will have visitors who I don't want to see." I added mockingly.

"Alejandro." She gave me a sad look and sighed, depressed. "We don't see each other anymore. Everything ended after that...day." She confessed uncomfortably.

"Aren't you late?" I mocked and gave her a loathing look and left, slamming the door behind me.

Andrea's POV

I was working in my office in our company. Once I graduated from university, I started working in our company. I worked like crazy. Every day I left the company late. It helped me not to think about the past a little. On the other hand, I didn't want to go to my penthouse and spend time alone. When I had some free time, the past pains haunted me. Yes, moving to my own place was my decision. My parents refused as I told them about my decision, but I insisted and promised them that sometimes I would stay there as well. They were so worried about me; seeing me sad made them upset. So I made this decision. Putting on a mask for some hours was easier than all day long. I couldn't pretend that I wasn't sad every day. Yes, I bounced back after receiving psychological help, and my parents supported and helped me while I was going through these bad days, but those memories were still with me.

I hadn't seen nor talked to Catalina and Lucia since last year. Before our families were so close, but the last two years it had changed as well. Actually, it was better for me as well. I couldn't bear to hear Alejandro's name or about his life. I just saw his photos in the magazines a few times, and he wasn't alone. He started dating a girl named Natalia a year ago; she was the daughter of a Greek tycoon. They studied at the same university. Seeing him with another woman made my heart sink. I still loved him so much, but it wasn't important anymore. It was the past. There was no future for us to be together. The last time I saw his photo in the magazine was last month. They said that Alejandro and Natalia broke up.

Alejandro graduated from university a few days ago, but I didn't know if he would return or not. He hadn't come back to New York since he left. Yes, we didn't keep a touch with his family, but if he came back, we would know.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door, interrupting my thoughts.

"Come in." I said as I put my pen down and lifted my head up.

The door opened and my father walked in, closing the door behind me.

"How are you, dear?" My father asked as he approached me.

"I am fine. Thanks." I gave him a slight smile. "I was going to come to your office. I checked the contract..." I didn't finish my sentence as he raised his hand, gesturing to me to stop talking.

"I didn't come here to talk about work, daughter." He confessed and gave me a warm smile.

I nodded and leaned back against my seat. "I am listening." I said softly.

"Your mother and I missed our daughter. Yes, I see you in the company, but there isn't so much to talk about properly. On the other hand, your mother hasn't seen you the last two weeks." He commented.

"Yeah, I am sorry." I gave him an apologetic look. "I had been so busy the last few weeks." I confirmed.

"Yes, my little girl is a workaholic." He stated and gave me a bright smile. I smiled lazily. "But my girl will come to the mansion tomorrow for dinner." He added firmly.

"Ok, I will be there." I accepted, nodding my head.

"Perfect." He exclaimed as he stood up. "I have to go. I have a meeting a few minutes later. See you." He informed and gave me a warm smile.

"See you."

A few hours later, my phone rang. I grabbed it and looked at the screen. It was Eva.

"Hey. How are you?" I said as I picked up my phone.

"Hi. Fine. You?" She said cheerfully.

"I am fine....Thanks." I said while examining my paperwork.

She sighed and demanded playfully. "Ms. Brandon, please, close your file and give your attention to your best friend."

I chuckled and stood up. "Ok, ok." I said, grinning.

"Are we meeting up this evening?" She asked.

"Yes. If I cancel it, my best friend will give me trouble." I commented, amused.

"You are totally right." She chuckled.

"Ok, see you later. Let me work now because I have some plans with my best friend this evening." I stated with an amused expression on my face.

After the company, I went to the restaurant. I parked my car in front of the restaurant and got out of the car.

I waved at Eva as I saw her. She beamed at me, as I approached her. After greeting each other, we ordered our meals.

We were chatting when I suddenly saw a familiar person. My heartbeats increased while I was staring at this person in surprise.

"Alejandro..." I mumbled under my breath.