- 24 -

*COLE'S POV*

Her

That's all I can think about

Her

I'm sitting at my desk, looking at all of the paperwork that needs to be done. Fully aware of the importance of that paperwork. I just can't get her out of my mind. She looked breathtaking this morning. She sat in the passenger seat of my car, looking out of the window. The sun shone beautifully on her caramel skin. Her irresistible brown eyes caressed the sun, warming those honey orbs.

I've always loved her brown eyes. She doesn't believe me when I tell her.

But to me

The color brown is like the color of finches- tangible, but always able to soar with a coaxing indulgence.

I think it's her. That I feel so warm around. I've never been a relationship person. I know it's unethical but I've always believed in my father's word. I was arranged a marriage before I was even born. My life has been steered to love that one girl. Her father was best friends with mine. Not only best friends but business partners.

Her father is the reason why my trust is so little. I look back at my desk. Looking at the old copies from my dad and Mr. Vargas' file.

It's Her

Right above both signatures laid the names of the two betrothed.

Cole Adán Black

Lorena Rose Vargas

I'd known it was her for a while, but this is the first time that I'm looking at the paperwork. It's like a glimpse into the past. Whether it was God's work, allowing her to be my betrothed or just good luck. I'd rather have no one else as my wife.

I can remember hating the arranged marriage. Praying that I would one day marry the one I truly love. Back when I believed it truly mattered.

My wish came true and it was canceled shortly after my father found out Vargas' plan. When I was explaining to her the situation next to the water fountain. It's obvious that her father kept her out of this side of the business. Mr. Vargas definitely did not inform her of the arrangement before his death. I often wonder how she would feel. Knowing that her choice of love was stripped away.

I wonder how she would feel knowing that I'm the one she's betrothed to.

It's hard to predict how she would react. She might hate me or she might be one hundred percent for it. Who knows?

Could she ever love me?

"Cole," Eli bust through the office doors, "We have word on who was linked to Braxton,"

"Show me."

***

Elijah drives slowly through the crumbled mess of where a diner used to stand. It was raided, then torn down. It looked like a scene from a war movie. I remember the guy I had to kill that worked here as a cook. I thought this place was a closed chapter already.

I get out of the car, looking around for a symbol, or a reason.

"Cole, take a look at this," Eli motions me to a piece of wall that was still intact.

As I rear the corner to stand next to him. I see what he was talking about:

A black wolf - it stands for the Cazadores.

"What do they have to do with this?" The question was to myself.

I'm starting to think this is bigger than me and that annoys the fuck out of me. I have multiple different theories for multiple different pieces of a puzzle. Once I figure one thing out, it doesn't seem to connect with the other pieces and then I'm back to square one. God, this shit is annoying...

"When the fuck will it end?" Elijah cusses to himself wandering to another area of the mess. I see something that stands out from the rest of the rubble. I walk closer and realize it's a body.

"Holy shit," I breathe, carefully moving the ceiling beam that was on top of it with my foot.

It's was an older woman. Silver hair now coated in debris. Even through death, I can see her facial features were soft, kind. The visible injury to her head and throat is what I assume the cause of death. I look a little closer. Her blue waitress uniform is the same one that fit so nicely on my baby.

She must know her. I look at the name tag:

Justine

I'll have to ask about the woman next time I see Rose.

"That's disgusting," Elijah says from behind me, "There's no telling how many bodies are under this pile of shit," He shakes his head, face contorted in disgust.

"We need to go," I state, "Call and have this cleaned up," I look back down at the lady.

"Make sure you find contacts for the deceased," I swallow hard.

I normally don't care for the dead. I mean, I kill people. It kinda comes with the job.

However, I don't kill innocent people, never have never will. Something about this woman makes me feel sorry for her. I'd never think that I, of all people, would grieve for a person I never knew.

I wanted her to be buried.

"Let's get back to the house," I hop into the driver's side this time. Elijah gets in already on the phone making arrangements.

"¿Por qué elegí un trabajo de mierda," I mutter under my breath, speeding out of the driveway
(Why did I pick such a shitty job?)

Elijah grunts in response, "Justo ahí contigo, hermano."
(Right there with you, brother.)

***

I open the door to the gang house. Expecting to see my princess' smile, maybe she'd even give me a hug. However, that would make my life worth living.

And we can't have that now, can we?

Instead, I walk in and the whole house is in mayhem. I got security guys running around, guns cocked. The resource team tapping away desperately on their computers.

"What the hell is going on?" I shout, but my voice is eaten by the loud commotion. No one even pauses.

I get a sick feeling in my stomach. My mind jumps to the worst situations, but my heart leaps to the best.

I yell again, "If someone doesn't tell me what the hell-"

I'm interrupted.

"Where the fuck could she have gone?"

It was a good bodyguard of mine, he's been with us for a while. His question strikes even more fear into my chest. It started to feel like everything was fading out. I could hear and then I couldn't. I could see and then I couldn't. 

That's it

I fire four rounds into the ceiling, immediately getting everybody's attention. All of their faces fall when they see it's me. This doesn't help with my slowly growing fear.

"Next round will be in someone's brain if you don't start talking!" My face is scowled, one might think it was permanent.

"Sir, we have a problem," One of my tech guys stutters wimpily. I snap my head towards him.

"W- well," He starts up, but he's eating at my patience. I put my gun to his head. You know, just to speed up the process.

"She's been taken, sir," He finished quickly. My heart sinks.

"What?" 

"Lorena, sir," I can hear his breath shallowing.

"She's been taken."