21

Alright---this chapter is not edited one bit. BUT since I love you all soooooo, super-duper much and I'm super close to 100,000 reads (don't know how?) I decided to give you a bonus chapter today. I'll run back through sometime this week and edit the shit out of it, probably add more. I usually stew over each chapter for a week until I deem it perfect( or not so much lol).
Also--if you want to step back in time and feel as emo as I did in 2003, listen to the song. 🤷‍♀️

●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"You fucking quit?!?!" he yelled again, throwing his key to my apartment across the room, sending it into the drywall. Leaving a small hole from the force of his angry throw.

My body froze, eyes glued to his heaving madness pacing the floor. Ice formed on my ass, melting me to the couch cushion, making me into an ice sculpture. And an ugly one at that. My mouth was agape in pure shock. I couldn't move a muscle to save my life, as he paced the floor. Walking a rut into carpeting, still pulling at his hair, occasionally stopping to gaze at me.

Until he stopped. His chest heaved and his eyes burned into me. We were like an odd art piece on display. Him an angry hulk of a man and me, the epitome of shell-shocked.

The heat from his angry, burning gaze finally melted the ice around my body. Knocking me from my frozen stare. Consuming me in a force field of pure, unadulterated rage. Forcing me to my feet in a flash and I came unglued. Absolutely unhinged from myself and I exploded on him. Letting every ounce of anger and sadness and rage and whatever else his absence had done to me out into the open.

"Wha---YOU can't just barge into someone's apartment like that!" I yelled back in as equally high pitch voice, tossing my arms about.

In two steps he was in front of me snarling like a dog about to attack, pulling his hair in his fingers. Like he was about to pull every strand of his perfect brown locks straight out of his scalp. But there was no way in hell I was backing down from this fight.

"You. Fucking. Quit. On. Me?!?!?" He punctuated every word, making sure to emphasis my betrayal on him. Growling at me like the angry dog he was. The veins bulged from his neck and forehead. Showing their blueness through his reddened skin.

"Yeah—yeah—you know what? I DID FUCKING QUIT!" I yelled into his face, spraying him with my spit. Feeling satisfied that our noses almost touched in our angry stare down.

"We still have work to do!!!!" he yelled back, heaving his chest, catching his breaths. "Why did you quit?" His voice got softer, like all the yelling he had done, was to stop the emotions he was truly feeling. Cracking under the pressure of his anger.

"Because!!!" I yelled back, swallowing hard. Searching my mind for the right response, but what would I say, I didn't have a valid reason. "Because I fucking had to!!" Yeah-yeah, that's right, Mercy.

"WHY?!" he bellowed and then took a few deep breaths. He closed his eyes for a split second and then stared back into mine with a sense of calmness coming over him. His shoulders relaxed, and he stopped pulling at his hair.

"Why did you have to quit?" His voice dropped again in agony and so did my eyes. I couldn't do this. I couldn't face him now. I couldn't tell him how I felt or why I found it necessary to quit. I love you, you idiot.

"Get out," I pointed toward the door. Coward! "Get the fuck out of my apartment, right now!" I shrieked, my tear ducts threatening to spill more tears. Here I was sulking because he was ignoring me and now he was here. Standing before me, yelling at me because I wanted to better myself. Yelling at me because I took myself away from him and his book. Fuck him.