9 - Icarus

The Elytra breaking was bad timing.

Honestly. It was the worst possible time to break. Bdubs was high in the sky, looking at his builds below. He loved flying. He used more rockets to zoom higher, making loops in the air. It was at the point where he couldn't even see his builds anymore, he was too high up.

It felt free, flying around. It got you places faster, not to mention a thrill every time you do it. Unless you were afraid of heights, of course...

Bdubs closed his eyes and let the wind fly around him. He probably should be building right now, but he wanted to take a break from trying to figure out a block palette or repeatedly placing blocks. He loved building, don't get him wrong, but everyone needed a break every now and then.

Then came the sound of ripping. Bdubs opened his eyes in surprise and looked around. Then he realized: his Elytra had broken. He stopped his flight in midair, then started falling towards the ground at terminal speed.

"No, no, no, no." Bdubs frantically checked his inventory for a spare set of Elytra. He always kept one around, but the pair that just broke was his favorite. Now it was ripped. He hadn't checked the durability. Stupid mistake, Bdubs. You check the durability AND bring a spare set!

Even though Bdubs had Feather Falling IV on his boots, this wouldn't save him. He was flying above build height, for goodness' sake. He'd need Feather Falling X at least to survive.

Potions of slow falling? Why would he bring those around? Potions in general? No. Scaffolding? Curse it--he had used it all on a tower build.

"Well. This is how I die. Falling from the sky because my Elytra broke and I was a huge idiot. Someone write this on my grave, please."

He expected the rushing sight of his multiple builds approaching fast. Instead, what he got was a large oak forest with two clearings--one smaller than the other. Had he flown this far out? This didn't look familiar. Then again, Bdubs had scoured his world for perfect building spots ten times over. This should have looked familiar. But it didn't.

Then Bdubs saw something that looked like a beacon of hope. Water. A rushing river.

Bdubs tried to angle his body towards the river, but the wind was interfering. He gritted his teeth and tried to control his broken wings to help guide him. The ground was approaching faster and faster.

"Come on. C'mon. I'm not going down this way."

Bdubs hit the water, barely missing solid ground. The cold was shocking, and Bdubs got a fair amount of water up his nose. That didn't matter. He was alive--thank goodness for this river.

He climbed out of the water quickly. He was inside the larger clearing. The river ran straight through the middle. To his surprise, there was a dirt hut nearby. It was perfectly square and very basic. Bdubs knew he didn't build this--so who did? He was the only one in his world.

Even more surprising, Bdubs could see other people. He was beginning to think that he had built the dirt hut but had forgotten about it, but no. There were people. Where was he? This wasn't his world.

There were five of them, and there were three more arriving. One person, who was sitting on the ground nearby, had spotted him. He blinked. This mustn't be normal in this world--I mean, in which world would it be normal to see a random guy fall from the sky like in the Greek myth--what was the guy's name? Icarus?