22. Daddy Duties

Jamie woke up at 4:57 A.M with a queasy stomach, wheezing cough, and in a cold sweat. As she frantically looked for her phone, she huffed and threw her hands to her side.

"Oh yeah", she mumbled remembering that she was grounded.

She got out of bed and grabbed her inhaler from the side pocket of her bookbag and took two puffs. As she went into the hall and headed for the kitchen to get a drink, she grabbed a thermometer from the drawer and put it under her tongue.

Once it beeped, she took it out and looked at the temperature.

"101.9", she said to herself. She didn't want to tell her dad, because she was still mad at him of course. She opted to tell Joyce instead.

While Jamie walked across the kitchen, she heard a faint knocking sound. Chills ran down her spine at the thought of someone at the front door this early and unannounced. She stood in the middle of the living room as she stared at the front door. Once the knocking repeated, she nearly pee'd herself as she quietly ran towards Joyce's bedroom. Before Jamie turned the knob to enter, she heard muffled voices coming from inside.

"Fuck", she heard Joyce whimper as she heard the faint knocking sound again, only this time it was clear as to where the knocking was coming from.

"Shhhiit", Hopper growled.

Jamie dropped her jaw once she realized what was going on. She felt a sour, burning sensation at the back of her throat as she swallowed vomit.

"Oh, fuck", she heard her father continue. "Fuck, I'm gonna c-"

"Mom!", Jamie called out as she knocked on the door six times.

She heard the two fumbling around the room before Joyce cracked the door open in her robe with her hair a mess all over her head. Jamie showed her the thermometer as she pulled her robe tightly against her body and stepped into the hall.

"Sweetie", Joyce said in a concerning tone. "Are you not feeling well? Have you eaten anything?", she said as she placed the back of her hand on Jamie's forehead.

"Not since I went out with Billy. Feel like I might throw up soon", she responded.

"Well, you definitely have a fever so you're not going to school that's for sure. C'mon", Joyce said as she walked Jamie back to bed.

Jamie was back in bed by the time Hopper appeared in the doorway. He leaned against the frame of the door with a mug of coffee.

"What's going on?", he asked.

"She's running a fever", Joyce responded extending her arm and passing him the thermometer. "It could be food poisoning."

"What did you eat?", Hopper asked Jamie as he looked at the thermometer.

Jamie ignored him and turned on her side to face the wall.

Hopper looked at Jamie then at Joyce and rolled his eyes.

"What did you eat yesterday?", Joyce asked.

"I only had breakfast and after school we got sushi", Jamie whispered only for Joyce to hear.

"Sushi?! Did you just say sushi?! Where the hell did you get sushi from", Hopper asked while looking at the back of Jamie's head with a disappointment.

Jamie sat there in silence which started to drive Hopper up the wall. Joyce gave Hopper a confused look before he decided to explain why he was so upset.

"She can't eat seafood, that's why I'm upset! And she sure as hell knows that", Hopper continued to raise his voice as he folded his arms and continued to stare at Jamie who still had her back turned.