Chapter IV: I Accept, I Accept Not

Lady Therese De Beauharnais of Roche

1 October, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Court of the Lady Justice, Bordeux

Monrique

Holding a stack of parchments with one arm, and clutching my black skirts with the other, I hurried down the aisle as quickly as I could, heedless of all others present in my way, except for my mentor.

Her Honour Lady Helene, one of the Ladies of Justice of Monrique, was attired like me in a black velvet gown, and an opaque veil that covered her whole body from head to toe, except for her eyes. She gazed down at her timepiece as I made my way up the raised platform to her side.

"Right on time, child," her aged, mellowed voice tinkled, "I am sorry for summoning you mere hours after your arrival in Bordeux, but I thought it imperative that you observe this particular hearing. Now come, take a seat and get ready quickly." She made some space for me beside her, and sat me down.

As I struggled to catch my breath, and pull out the scores of my handwritten notes, she continued speaking in my ear. "By all means, it is a simple case," she whispered, "the prosecution has accused the defendant of stealing his money. The defendant insists that she did not steal, and that the money is hers."

I paused in my tracks. Cases of this sort never escalated to the Court of the Lady Justice. The accuser and the accused usually approached the Earl or Duke who owned their lands to settle the matter, or for more serious cases, the courts of justice in their own dukedoms.

Lady Helene's hand covered my own. "I know it is unusual for this Court to deal with petty theft," she agreed, "but not impossible. This is a unique case, and I would like you to keep an open mind when you observe today's proceedings."

I nodded calmly, picking up my quill and a fresh piece of parchment to take notes. When I had first decided to train in Bordeux to become a Lady Justice, I had known well that objectivity was an essential trait I needed to possess in order to judge a situation solely based on facts and evidence.

Emotions had no room in court, and they always clouded one's judgement.

"I will, Your Honour."

Nodding at me in approval, she cleared her throat to obtain the silence that she required. "This Court is gathered here today for the first, confidential hearing pending the case filed by the Prosecution, Lord Bertrand De La Tours of Auvenge, against the Defence, Lady Madeleine De La Tours, Countess of Auvenge for a theft of 100 000 Crowns from the Treasury of Auvenge. This Court is reminded to abide by the laws and customs it is bound by, and maintain order during the full course of today's proceedings."

Complete silence.

Lady Helene crossed her fingers on the table. "Now, Prosecution," she stated, "please identify yourself, and present your case."

I glanced up from my notes, and turned my gaze towards the Prosecution stand. On it stood a greying man in his mid-fifties, his head held up high and his pale blue eyes cold and hard.

Chills ran down my spine upon the very sight of him, and I sought to still my suddenly trembling hands.

Emotions had no room at court.

With a determined countenance, he took an oath to tell nothing but the truth upon the Bible, before he turned towards us to speak.

"Your Honour," he cleared his throat, "I am Lord Bertrand Brian De La Tours of Auvenge, and I have come here to seek justice on behalf of myself and the people of Auvenge. The Defence, in broad day light, stole a sum of 100 000 Crowns from the Treasury of Auvenge - "