Chapter One Hundred & Nine | Fourth World

[ 109 ]

As Fahren went from world to world, he naturally picked up on a few things. One of them being the imminent and unavoidable event which would always result in his demise if he didn't take action. The other, was the reoccurring characters that he was eventually presented with.

They always had their solid backgrounds— ones which undoubtedly solidified their characters— but there was always an inkling of a connection between their reincarnations. Sometimes it was easier for Fahren to pick up on it, but only when he took a step back. So currently, being so immersed in the unpredictable world even System had no clue about, he was struggling.

But he naturally made assumptions. Especially when Hawk gradually eased the tension in his body and began to talk about his brother. "Chief said that he always knew Falcon was odd. He wasn't as vocal as a baby, showed no real connection with either him or our mother and apparently enjoyed being on his own."

Hawk, while reminiscing, shook his head lightly. "It wasn't until he came of age where he started telling our Chief that he didn't believe in our deities."

"I can imagine that view wasn't very welcome."

"Not at all, he isolated himself even further. It's only because of the demonstration of his strength in these recent years, that have made some more tolerant of him. But Chief will not let him take over from him with those views."

Finch sighed from where he was sat on the furs. "So no pressure for me, right? To make sure the future Chief is able to get back on his feet."

That made Hawk laugh, and it was a deeply alluring one which ultimately had him wincing after a few seconds. That's what got Finch chuckling in turn. But he was relieved to finally see a lighter expression on the man's face. A far cry from what he looked like when they first met.

Finch kept a watchful eye on the man's leg. It hadn't been long since he applied the alcoholic solution, which is why the future Chief kept hissing in pain now and then.

"If you don't mind me asking," Finch filled the gradual silence and drew the patient out of his pain-induced haze. "Why is your brother still allowed to remain in the Clan, if he's hurt you badly before?"

Hawk's mouth twisted as he tried to keep his head at the angle where he could look at Finch. So the younger man helped him out by carefully propping some of the furs behind him and sitting closer. "The Chief doesn't know, that's why. He probably suspects, but I've never told him directly. Falcon and I may be completely different, but he's still a vital part of our clan. I can only hope our benevolent god has plans to persuade my brother onto the right path."

"Even though he's harmed you?"

Hawk gave a weak smile, "Isn't it best to keep those you trust the least, the closest to you? I'm sure he won't tolerate me as Chief, so if nothing changes, the future is inevitable."

"This injury would have killed you if I wasn't here," Finch said for certain and then remembered something, "..or if the deity didn't help you instead of me."

"You're confident you're going to save me?"

Finch shrugged, "It's what I sort of promised. Besides, I'll probably be killed if I don't."

"Then you can look after me in the after-life."

"Please don't take offence, but given that the after-life is supposed to be all our hopes and dreams.. mine isn't to remain as a slave."

Hawk scoffed, "You're hardly a slave, and you won't be killed since Chief has chosen you as the perfect person for our offering ceremony."

"I'm replaceable." Finch commented easily.