2) Mage to Knight

It was a one way journey to the capital, a long one. Leo didn't have any money on him, so he couldn't go back even if he wanted to. When he got off the carriage, he slung his backpack on his shoulders. Before he was kicked out, he remembered the recommendation letter given to him.

Just thinking about it made him sigh. Twice. There was no other choice, lest he became an adventurer. He didn't mind becoming a knight, but isn't it weird that a mage is doing that? His other worry is the fate of this world. The heroine is supposed to unite each race to clash against a powerful god. With his sister gone, he was screwed either way!

He pushed his thoughts aside and looked at the letter once more. The Etern Association was where he needed to go. He asked one of the passing city guards for directions. Afraid that the kid would be lost, the guard escorted him there. The barracks, off-the-side building he imagined was not there. It was the royal castle, which meant he had to go inside.

His heart beated from anxiety. Leo tried to take a step forward but his legs refused. On second thought, let's be an adventurer! When he turned around, he crashed into someone and fell. Ouch, he rubbed his face annoyed. Leo looked up to see a tall, white-haired man clad in armor. His fierce golden eyes glared back, making Leo fearful.

He quickly stood up and avoided his gaze. Leo was about to leave when he saw a boy around his age pick up his recommendation letter. The boy also had white hair, but his eyes were lavandar, lighter than his own purple eyes. He was cuter than Nadia. He sort of looked familiar, but Leo wasn't sure. Leo wanted to snatch the letter back, but the tall man plucked it off first. He skimmed through the letter and look back at Leo.

"Count Reinfel recommended you?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Y...yes, he did." Leo hesitated.

For a while, there was silence until the man spoke again.

"Raine, try him." He gave the letter to the boy. "You have no place here if you cannot pass."

The man strode off leaving his words. When he was out of sight, Raine smiled at Leo. He had a natural aura that drew people in, a typical ikemen. It was almost laughable since Raine looked close enough to a girl. Okay, maybe a brawny girl with abs.

"Pardon my father, he's not that scary as you think."

"No, it's fine..." Leo mumbled.

"Come on, you need to take the entrance exam." Raine lead the way and Leo followed.

Inside the castle were elaborate craftsmanship to admire. Colorful decor, paintings, ornate weapons. Plenty of servants streamed in and out, some cleaning, some talking, or instructing. Everyone was cheerful and livelier. The atmosphere became relaxed.

The two boys passed the garden. At the side of the castle was a huge field filled with hard training soldiers. One fought with another, the sound of metal clashing, sweat dripping off. Raine handed the letter to a well built man, maybe the captain, watching over the field. He nodded, and the boy waved over to Leo as he went to an empty spot on the field. Leo made his way there.

"Give me a moment." Raine headed  towards one of the racks next to a building.

He grabbed two swords and came back, tossing one of them to Leo. Leo almost fell when he caught it. The sword was dull, a bit heavier in his hands. It wasn't his first time holding one though. He practiced a bit when he was 5 years old, just out of curiosity. In the end, he gave it up in exchange for magic.

"Ready when you are!" Raine took a stance.

"A-already...?"

"Who else? Don't worry, I'm a beginner like you!" He reassured.

Wait, isn't this a bit unfair? Against a son of a knight, compared to a newbie. Leo's face paled as he positioned himself. If worse comes to worse, magic might not be cheating. Of course, he meant it as a last resort... Well, here goes nothing!

Leo made the first move. He rushed in and did a vertical cut. Raine took a casual step to the side and returned fire. Leo intercepted with his own sword, just barely. His arms were shaking in a struggle to push off the hit. A bit unfair? More like TOO unfair! If it came to raw strength, no doubt he'd lose.

Screw this, he had nothing to lose. Leo poured a little mana on his arms and pushed his body weight forward. Raine was surprised and took a step back. He made another attack, this time to the side. It was faster than Leo's eyes can see, panic rising from within. He clumsily parried in the nick of time. They continued to attack and receive blows, neither resting.

Leo could feel his muscles wearing down. At this rate, he'll lose. If he lost, he would definitely get hit, and judging by the other boy's strength, it's gonna hurt like hell. Leo sweep kicked, but Raine saw through it and tackled him with a leap. Leo felt sore on his chest, getting hit with the handle of the sword.

Before he knew it, Raine was on top of him with a satisfied smile. The white-haired boy quickly got off. Leo didn't bother getting up, he was still in pain. He let go of the sword and laid there.

"This your first time with a sword?" Raine asked.

"...Yes." Leo lied.

"You lasted longer than expected. Though, probably not long enough without magic." He shrugged.

Leo said nothing more. What's there to say when he failed? On top of that, he had money or shelter. All his friends were back in that town, he had no connections here. Damn, it's going to be a hard life.

The captain towered over Leo in silence. His expression was blank. That's gotta be a fail. Leo was already prepared for it. After a long silence, the captain spoke.

"Cheating on the exam..."

Yeah, yeah, yeah, just get over it already.

"On the other hand, you show more skill than most recruits. Welcome to the Etern Knights!"

Leo stood up in disappointme— Wait, what did he say?

"Pardon? Did you say..."

"Lad, clean your ears!" He sighed. "What's your name?"

"Leonard, sir!" Leo answered.

"Family name?"

"Just... Leonard, sir."

"Raine, show him around!"

"Yes sir!" Raine shouted. "You heard the captain, now get moving!"

He dragged Leo along. Said person gritted his teeth, every step was like agony to hell. He should've been an adventurer after all!!