Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

The light vanished as Malcolm's face came into view, staring down at her from beside her.

"Theo?" He called out, "Theodora!"

She wanted to get up, to blink and talk but no matter how much she tried nothing worked.

Muffled talking, and then Malcolm's voice was loud and clear— "They need a real kick! Atropine!"

"Medic kit." She heard, "The car. Back."

Malcolm continued to stare down at her, she could feel his hands on her shoulders, shaking her lightly. "Ten minutes before they're dead. Five for the girls!" He yelled.

Ten minutes. That's all she had.

"Theodora— hey, hey!" She felt pressure on her chest, up and down. Trying to get her heart started— but it hadn't stopped yet.

For once Malcolm had no idea what to do, and he was doing anything to keep himself from accepting that.

"Can you hear me? Theo, come on. You're gonna be fine." He told her, "It's all going to be fine. It's alright. Are you in pain? Oh god, please don't let you be in pain—"

His face vanished, and his hands left her, leaving her laying in the grass. She could feel the poison make its way towards her heart, what a weird feeling it was.

Something jabbed into her leg, then he was back. Hair covering his eyes as he shook his head, watching and waiting for a reaction.

"Theo." He snapped, "Come on!"

Hands cupped her cheeks, "Wake up!"

Theodora felt like crying, praying for her to be able to walk away from this. She had no idea what it felt like to be trapped. She hated it.

Arms wrapped around her, pulling her up on his lap. He held her so tightly she swore she could feel the pressure more than anything else.

"They're awake!" Dani called, causing him to shake his head.

"Why isn't this working!"

His eyes were so blue— like the sky, but brighter— no like the frozen lake she used to skate on in the winter. Like crystals. They were filled with concern and worry, and that was fear she was seeing. Blatant, outright fear.

"Theo, please." His voice cracked, "I need you here. I need you here with me, come on."

Something bubbled in her stomach, and rushed up her throat. All of a sudden she flopped to her side, contents from her stomach escaping her mouth, pooling onto the grass.

She coughed violently, shoulders shaking. Hands held her hair back as another round began, but stopped just as fast as it began.

Her body worked again, she was no longer trapped. Wiping her mouth she turned to look at Malcolm, who stared at her with the same fear he had moments ago.

"Mal?" Her voice croaked, just as he engulfed her into a hug.

"Thank god you're okay." He muttered, "Thank god."

"Never take food from strangers."

He huffed, "Don't make jokes right now. A-are you alright?"

She nodded, feeling decent for what just had happened. She wiggled away from him, the grass suddenly cool underneath her. He jumped up, helping her up after.

"You good, Fletcher?" Dani asked with a concerned tone.

"Yes."

Her legs felt a little wobbly, but she'd be fine.