Chapter 61

Rowan sat peacefully on the rocks. His shorts had dried, Wez and his soulmate had gone, Braiken and his son and his soulmate were further along the beach, throwing stones into the water. Kaerius returned when Rowan started wondering why he was gone for so long. Two more heads surfaced. Rowan said hello to Jaiker and Laiken who's attention immediately gushed over Mandy, the princess of the sea.

Kaerius swam to Rowan and gently touched Rowan's leg. They both shivered, and their eyes connected. Kaerius held onto Rowan's ankle with a webbed hand.

Rowan tried not to seem so excited about his physical touch, though it was all he could think about. "Do you want to sleep in the sea again tonight?" he asked.

Kaerius shook his head. "No. Take turns." Kaerius gripped the bottom of Rowan's foot with his other hand, simply enjoying being close. "Will you come on land?" he asked Laiken in the Thalassic Tongue.

"I'm not sure. I might faint if I see myself with legs."

"Or scream like a whale like you did that time Rowan threw a spear at you."

Laiken dunked Kaerius underwater, and he almost pulled Rowan off the rocks. Kaerius let go of his soulmate and started fighting with Laiken.

Jaiker groaned and dipped under the water, returning with pinched ears in each hand. Kaerius squirmed to get away, but Jaiker's grip tightened. "Behave in front of princess," he hissed.

Mandy chuckled as Kaerius released himself and retreated to Rowan to hug his legs and glare.

"I suppose we should get legs. We'll have to if we're coming to help you find the culprit," Jaiker said, looking at Laiken who mumbled something about legs being ugly.

"The culprit?" Mandy asked.

"Yes. We want to help you find who cursed you. If they're not caught soon, I'm scared they'll do the same to Kaerius and Rowan. My heart would break if they had to live through that."

Kaerius looked up to Rowan with worry. Rowan didn't understand the language. "I don't want to be cursed!" Kaerius thought.

"You won't be," Rowan thought back and helped Kaerius onto the rock so they could sit together. "I would never let that happen."

Kaerius flicked his fins in the water when Rowan kissed his cheek.

* * * * *

The next day, Kaerius went down to the rocks to help Jaiker and Laiken get used to their human legs. Michael had given Kaerius some clothes for them to wear, which Laiken didn't enjoy and tried to undress three times before they reached the dunes.

By the time they made it to the porch, Mandy's brothers and Jack had arrived to track down the werewolves. Kaerius stopped by the front door, watching Jack approach Rowan who stood further down the hallway.

"Have you heard anything from Mandy's hunters?" Jack asked.

"No. Wez said he told them that Mandy was stepping down, but, weirdly, they've accepted it so well," Rowan replied, and changed the topic when he saw his mother. Jack left to look around Rowan's house. "The werewolves are based in the town. Are we going soon?" Mandy nodded and stared at Rowan for a little longer than intended. He stared back and awkwardly patted her shoulder. "You don't look okay. You can stay home if-"

"No. I'm coming. I would make myself sick worrying about you and Michael." Mandy stepped back with a small smile. "Speaking of Michael, I'll go see if he's ready."

Kaerius watched Rowan's eyes follow her to the stairs. Rowan had taken his bracelet from his wrist and tangled it around his fingers. He rubbed one of the purple stones nervously. If his emotions didn't stream from his mouth, Rowan would fidget until his hands hurt. Kaerius watched him until Rowan saw him standing by the door. He smiled, and Kaerius's felt a vibration of love down his spine. He approached Rowan, untangled the bracelet and placed it back on his wrists. Kaerius held Rowan's waist and listened as Rowan's anxious thoughts changed immediately.