26. Never let you go

Akshita

There are days which are beautiful and then there are those which are not so good. Likewise, some moments in life are beautiful and stay with you forever and some you just want to forget but they won't leave you alone. Everyone comes across these moments in their life. In my life, even though I have faced the worst kind of moments, they just faded away after I made new ones with Ashish. Ashish recycled all my bad memories and made me realise that these bad memories are my lessons and challenges so I don't need to look down on them but learn from them. Because these memories made me grow into a better human being. Ashish gave meaning to my otherwise dull and monotonous life and I will always be grateful for that. Not even a single day has passed since we met that he didn't encourage me to be a better person.

I was in a daze looking out the window, being in the moment when my phone started ringing loudly, breaking my trance. I looked at the caller id and my smile instantly receded.

"Hello," I answered. The cold tone of my mother greeted me like a big blow on the face.

"Are you so ungrateful that you can't call your family to know about their wellbeing?"

"How is everyone?" I muttered in an uninterested tone.

"Now you ask? Do you even know how much your father and I had to listen to our relatives? Everyone keeps taunting us that you don't call anyone and don't even start me on Akash's incident. You brought so much shame to your father and I when you tried to throw yourself at Akash that day. Till today, Akash and Reva give us a cold shoulder. Only because of your mistake."

"But he was the one who harassed me." I protested immediately.

"Harassed you? Are you even listening to yourself? He told us the truth about how you kept throwing yourself at him at the party. Give me one reason on why he would even touch you when he has such a beautiful wife." Her words made me sigh tiredly. It felt like an unnecessary phone call. I am so tired from all this but she is not, by doing the same thing over and over again.

"Did you call me to talk about an age-old incident where I made no mistake by the way? If you want to still believe an outsider over your own blood then stop calling me." I said exasperated.

"Mind your tone. Akash has been like a son to us since day one. What good have you done for us that we believe you over him? And what did Reva do bad to you any way that you had to embarrass her like that and try to destroy her home? You are nothing but a nuisance." She always says the most hurtful words in a most casual way.

"Then don't call this 'nuisance' again. I won't listen to you degrading me on every possible occasion. If you can't love me or trust my word, then don't keep any relation with me. Don't ever call me to shout at me for these nonsensical issues created by your errant mind. I will not suffer your or your family's nonsense. Goodbye!" I yelled over the phone in anger.

"How dare y..." I didn't let her finish and hung up the call. I threw the phone on the bed angrily and breathed heavily. I started crying in anger and frustration.

"Shhh... It's okay." I was wrapped in the safety of his arms and I didn't even realise he was there.

"Ashish!" I sobbed.

"I am here." He said sweetly.

"Ashish, she is still talking nonsense, blaming me for that Akash incident. They trust him more than me." I complained to him like a child.

"It's ok, let them."

"I am amazed she resisted for so many days though. Internally, she was just waiting to degrade me since that day. She just wants to belittle me on every possible occasion. They can never change. To hell with them. I will not hurt my self-respect anymore for satisfying their vanity. I won't, I won't, I won't!" I cried and ranted, still in Ashish's arms.