Chapter 9

Nicole stood in front of Gabriel's room door.

Was this a good idea? She internally asked herself.

"It won't hurt knowing what his room looks like, or will it?"

She shook off her doubts and took the bold step of knocking on the door. After a few seconds, she heard his voice say,

"Come in."

Taking a deep breath, she slowly reached for the knob. Opening the door, she saw Gabriel buttoning his shirt, he looked like he just had a shower. He was casual this time, wearing a white long-sleeved button-down shirt with a pair of jeans.

"Hey," she greeted, taking Gabriel by surprise. He wasn't expecting to see Nicole here in his room. He thought his administrator had been the one knocking, probably to inform him about something.

"How did you know this was my room?" He asked.

"I got a little help from the house administrator," she replied. He nodded in understanding.

"Your room... It's lovely." Nicole complimented.

She wasn't just trying to strike up a conversation but meant what she said. Gabriel's room was in a way similar to hers but he was massive. It was bigger than Nicole's whole apartment, his was colored blue, white, and cream. It had a lounge inside it with a bar. It was the kind of room fit for a king.

If Nicole had thought she couldn't describe hers, this one had made her completely speechless.

Gabriel watched as Nicole took in every detail of his room. He didn't want to be rude by interrupting her thoughts.

Once he noticed she was done staring, he began,

"Why are you here?"

"Jeez! You don't always have to be rude okay?! I only came to visit you... Being your fiancee and all. I don't want to look stupid living in the same house with you and not have any idea where your room is or what it looks like." Nicole said.

She was right, he was being immature.

Gabriel hasn't lived with someone for a long time so he wasn't used to being disturbed. He guessed he should start getting used to it now.

"So.. What is it you do?" Nicole asked making herself comfortable on one of the couches, although his bed looked tempting she'd stick with the couch.

Gabriel was glad she chose to change the subject because he wasn't used to apologizing to anyone over trivial matters.

"I'm an engineer," he began, joining Nicole on the couch.

"It's a family thing. It has been on for generations."

"Wow, that's pretty cool!" Nicole commented.

"We have our construction company in almost every part of North America. We're also into real estate business."

"So you guys are like aristocrats?" Nicole asked, trying to make sure she understood what he just said.

"Yeah," he replied.

Nicole took in the information and nodded her head as a sign of understanding

"So... You've got any siblings?"

"It's just me."

"Wow! Don't you feel lonely?" She asked wondering how he had coped growing up alone.

Gabriel blankly stared at Nicole wondering if she was expecting him to answer that question. Nicole realized he wasn't planning on saying anything.

"No wonder you're like this," she thought. Gabriel looked at her with a hard face making her realize that she just said that out loud.

"I didn't mean to say that." she quickly declared.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." she apologized with her hands up in surrender. She noticed that he relaxed a little,

'So, he was that easy to pacify' she thought to herself. At least that was a good thing.

"What about you?" Gabriel asked.

Nicole was surprised at his question. She didn't think he'd want to go on with the conversation. Although she didn't like talking about her past because it always saddened her, it was only fair to tell him since he just shared his with her.

"Well..." She began,

"I have no idea who my father is... I grew up with my mom. She was the best thing that happened to me but unfortunately, I lost her on my 18th birthday. She got involved in a car accident and all efforts to save her proved abortive. I couldn't go to college because of her death, then I realized that I had to learn how to fend for myself since I had no relative to help. That was how I started doing multiple jobs before ending up at the pub." Nicole could feel her tears threatening to fall, she blinked a few times taking them back in. She couldn't cry, not in front of Gabriel.

"So, that's my story," she concluded with a smile trying to conceal her true emotions.

Gabriel could see how hard Nicole was trying not to cry. She must have been through a lot, he should never have asked. Just as he was about to speak up, they heard a knock on his door.

"Come in," he said.

His house administrator walked into the room, he came to let them know that dinner was ready.

"Shall we?" Gabriel asked Nicole. He hoped she was in the right mood to eat. Nicole quickly nodded in reply, not wanting to stay in his room any longer.

Don't forget to vote and comment 😊
Thanks