Chapter Three

Alpha King Lancester's POV

I was sitting on my balcony when the missile hit. A large, black bomb tumbling through the air before colliding with the ground. It was over near the gate, the entire mountain that our city was built upon rumbling as it landed. I sent out the medics as soon as possible, I knew wolves would be caught in that, caught in the explosion.

I could already feel the stress piling, the casualties...

From what I could see, the bomb landed near the gate, or at least close to it. The death toll would be high, if it didn't hit at the gate then it hit near the market place. Wolves could withstand a lot, but if it hit the gate, then the humans will be dragged into this.

Humans.

Why my ancestors had believed to show ourselves to them, I'll never know. The humans were difficult to handle, desperate for more even though we had given them as much as they deserved. I understood partially, a wolf needs a mate, more then a wolf needs anything else in the entire world. Human's helped in that department, more wolves finding their mates, which meant fewer rejections which meant fewer rogues.

Mates.

It was an interesting concept. At birth, the moon goddess would split a soul in half. Finding your other half was finding your mate. You would find your mate at sixteen, and then spend eternity with them. A wolf without a mate was a wolf without purpose. You met your mate through smell, an intoxicating smell. Once you locked eyes, most wolves are never able to leave, the bond overpowering any rational thoughts.

I was still yet to find my mate, I had turned seventeen six years ago. Most King's found their mate within days, usually months. It was hard. I yearned for my mate more than anything else. I had everything planned, three-quarters of my closet empty for her clothes, my bathroom stocked up with female products. The only thing that was missing was my mate, the future Luna Queen. But there was nothing I could do except simply wait until the Moon Goddess decided it was time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as I had organised the medical teams and made a public announcement to the wolves, I headed straight to the hospital. When my father was training me, after an incident such as this, to visit the victims in hospital. Offer them some sort of condolencences. It was out of respect for the victims as well. Even as a youngster, my father would bring me to the hospital. 'A king should know his people, and and Alpha should know his wolves' he would tell me. Something that I liked to still do till this day.

The hospital was large. Like the rest of the village, the building was pure white, not a hint of another colour to be seen. The inside was coloured the same as the outside, however, it had been decorated to include colours ranging from light blues to dark greens. To keep them calm, make a scary place look a little bit more welcoming, especially for the pups.

When I entered, as usual, every wolf in the vicinity bowed, lowering their heads as a sign of respect for their King. 

I looked over and saw the nurse, 'Go get Doctor Kingston' I mind linked, saving me from shouting across the room. She nodded and left the room, disappearing behind a back door. Suddenly a felt a tugging at my feet, I looked down to see a pup, only three or four at the most. Her short blonde hair was pulled into two messy pigtails, her blue eyes wide and staring up at me.

"Excuse me Alpha," She asked shyly, pulling on my pant leg again, "Can I pretty please ask you something?"

A smile came over my face, "Of course you can," I confirmed,  picking her up in my arms and letting her sit on my hip.