Chapter 21: Sole's Condition Worsens! Through the Kurai Forest!

S E C O N D   A R C : S K I P! [ Opening: Kibou no Uta by Flow] (up above)
I picked this song because it represents the feel of my story so well.

__________________________

Chapter 21: Sole's Condition Worsens! Through the Kurai Forest!

___ ___ ____ _____ ____ _____ ____

"Captain Lionhart, Sir!"

Leon leans against a pillar, smoking a cigarette he has received from Yata. He exhales the sweet smoke and turns towards the voice.

"Give me the bad news first."

The young Strike member salutes and looks at Yata before continuing.

"It seems that the two prisoners have escaped, Sir."

Leon unintentionally bites the tip of his smoke off between his canines, tobacco landing on his tongue in a bitter powder. He coughs it out, spluttering because of the nauseating taste.

"Dammit. And the good news?"

"The King of this place has died."

Yata hands his superior another lit smoke with a slight grin.

"That's not exactly good news."

He taps the cigarette against the pillar, letting the ash fall to the floor. Suddenly two royal guards dash into the room, out of breath.

"Are you people from Strike?"

Yata nods slowly, pushing his glasses to the bridge of his nose.

"There is a Caravala in the city!"

Leon exchanges a careless look with Yata, blowing more smoke out.

"So?"

"What do you mean 'so?' Isn't your duty to save humanity from those monsters!"

Leon laughs lightly under his breath.

"How can I save humanity from themselves?"

The two guards beg the three Strike members to do something.

"Sir, we should at least see what kind of threat we're up against."

Leon sighs and takes a final puff on his smoke before tossing it to the floor and stomping it with his heel. Without a word, he walks out the door with Yata right behind him. It doesn't take long to know where the supposed Caravala is. The sound of people screaming and people shoving against one another explode from the back of the crowd, slowly causing more panic. Leon heads through the people who begin clearing a path when they see who he is. People begin to whisper about him, some even smiling in relief. Leon rolls his eyes.

"Damn humans."

He cuts through two men roughly, knocking into a woman. She jumps back silently as Leon glares at her from under the brim of his hat. The screams get louder as they approach and a loud, obnoxious voice echoes in concern.

"Sole! What's wrong with him, exile?"

Leon cuts between some screaming women and sees the first flash of violet hair. He smiles and pushes through the crowd that grows more thick with chaos as he goes.

"Move it!"

Yata gets separated from his superior, getting knocked down from a wave of people. Leon pushes people left and right losing track of the direction of the voices.

"Dammit! Move, you bastards!"

Leon shoves a man to the right of him and sees a clearing. He runs to it and sees the sight that is causing the panic. The violet haired girl and the man who was with her are hovering over the silver haired boy he had encountered earlier. His jacket is torn at the sleeves and his arm is transforming and convulsing wildly.