two

Saint
I don't remember when it happened or how I knew what it was. I just knew it was never wrong.

Ever since I was little I've always had this hunch. Just by looking at someone I can tell how good of a person they are.

It's like this, I can sense the aura of goodness radiating out of people.

On average most people radiate about 70% goodness. Some range to about 55%. But when I saw Luci Black for the first time, I didn't find any.

When she walked past me, my mood suddenly changed. I could sense a depth of nothingness radiating out from her. It was at that moment I felt like the judge; the one who should condemn her for her undisclosed crimes.

How dare she have no goodness not one ounce. And yet she pretended to be this lovely goody-two-shoes girl that never did any wrong.

She walked- no she practically strode- down the hall with a soft smile on her face. Luci only spoke when spoken too, and never gave teachers attitude. A wolf is sheep's clothing, and it was up to me to unmask her.

When I first met her the first day of high school, I immediately hated her. Everything from her red coils to her dark brown eyes. The way she forced delicate mannerisms to make herself appear innocent to the way she dressed in soft colors as a diversion from her true self. She infuriated me, which is why I decided to make every day for her a living hell.

There was nothing special about her- there couldn't be. From what I knew after years of observation, she was just this chubby, superficial, low-income girl who carried a used thrift store camera and occasionally worked at Rugrat Diner after school.

There was no substance to her. She simply existed in the world; not a morsel to be noticed.

So imagine my surprise when this seemingly uninteresting girl created fire out of her bare hands and burned me.

I didn't know if I was seeing things but the way the fire erupted from her hands terrified me. It was as if I could feel the energy coming out of her.

Luci had always been unusually warm but I assumed it was an untreated fever or maybe heat exhaustion.

Never in a million years would I have imagined it was something greater- something extraterrestrial.

"Are you okay honey?" Snapping me out of my thoughts, my mom placed a hot plate of eggs in front me and patted my head.

"I'm fine," I replied. I attempted to grab the plate with my left hand and hissed at the contact. Because of yesterday's events both my hands were wrapped in cling film and white gauze. My finger tips were stained black and flesh protruded from my palms.

"Saint, I still don't understand what happened to your hands,"

"I told you," I took a bite of my eggs and chewed quickly, "it was an accident in the science lab, no worries."

"Yeah well it looks gross," my younger sister stated as she quickly looked back and forth between my hands and her phone.

"Charlotte," my mother warned, "don't be rude to your brother."

"Sorry mom," my younger brother began, "but she's right. Go put some gloves over that or something."

"Look at the twins ganging up on me," I rolled my eyes and got out of my chair.

"Mom, I should go or else I'm gonna be late."

"Okay well I don't want you taking that bike of yours to school, please use the car. Or better yet let Rod take you to school," she suggested.