Son of Adam

The air was as it always was in here, murky and filled with nothing but fear and regret. Not many people made it to this wing of Death Row, this place was for the worst of the very worst, the people that offended even the foulest of human being. One of the most predictable things in human nature is to fear that you will be judged when your day comes, even for these people. The man in Cell #0001 did not fall into that category, steadfast that what he had done, he would do again given another life. He will go to the Ball knowing that he would not have went another way with his existence. He led on his bed, eyes closed in peaceful thought, nothing could bother him other than the bunk rattling from the man above.

"Be still..." He said, robotically

The man above him quickly span in his bed and threw his head over the edge of the stained bed sheet above. His eyes were bloodshot and weeping, the eyes of a man who has long forgotten even how to spell REM.

"Y...you... you know what's hapnin' today don't ya?" He said rapidly

"Indeed..." The man said

"How can you just lie there, it's over, its fuckin' over!"

"I feel I can faithfully assume that the life a cowardly wretch as you would have lived wasn't worth the air it took to sustain it"

"Huh?"

The man grunted and closed his eyes once again. The trembling form of the walking dead above moved back out of view on his bunk and continued to rattle. A loud metallic bang hit the scratched bars to the right of the claustrophobic and extremely old Cell #0001. The man opened only his left and looked towards the barred entrance.

"No! please, I can't!"

"Have some dignity in your last moments, Wretch..." The man said as he stood.

"Paulson, I'll be back for your paedophilic corpse in due course. Unfortunately, it's not your time yet..." The guard said as he turned his disgusted gaze to the man below. "The same cannot be said for you, Son of Adam".

The man looked him dead in the eye and nodded confidently.

"So... The bell finally tolls..."

"Shut up you cryptic son of a bitch. Hands!..."

The man slowly turned and placed his hand next to the bars. The guard pulled a large pair of handcuffs from his pocket. These were no ordinary cuffs; these were Gravity Cuffs. Any swift movements or attempts at breakage, they would instantly feel as if you had a Caravan strapped to your wrists.

He opened the door and ushered him down the dark, damp and dingy hallway. The passed other cell doors on the way, it was an awfully long way from Cell #0001 to the Ball. The more dangerous and despicable criminal you were, the lower your cell number was. The prisoners wailed out insults and taunts as they took the long walk to the Ball. All these were pointless of course as all of the prisoners knew that one day, they would also be doing the dreaded walk.

"My cousin was in the Carnage, you sick fuck..." The guard sneered

"That's what you fools have named it, the truth is that what you call Carnage is in fact, more of a Rapture..."

"Keep walking!" The guard shouted as he forced the bud of his large rifle into the man's back

They approached a large stone door. It was rare to see something so archaic in this time, but the Prison was built nearly 200 years ago, and it had kept much of its original architecture in that time. The doors slowly opened to a large circular room with a metal spherical ball, the size of a small house in its centre with its door open. Most criminals were sent to the Ball in groups, but this man was a special case. The room had a large viewing centre which did not have an empty seat. Many had come to see the end of this one man.

The guard walked him to the entrance of the ball and turned him to face 4 Individuals in very large and decorative chairs, all sharing the same disgusted look that the people in the viewing box were displaying. The one to the middle left stood tall and place his hand on his chest, activating his microphone.

"After 4 long years, we are here to see justice done. The man we see before us has done nothing with his life other than throw all his genius, strength and will into destroying, killing and devastating his fellow man. No one in this room is a stranger to the Sons of Adam and their horrific crimes against humanity and no one is as intimately familiar to how and why those acts were carried out like this man before you. To call him a Man humanises him, we are here today to put down a sick animal, one that should have been laid to rest before he had a chance to destroy the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. His orchestration of what has become known as the Carnage, resulted in the deaths of over 12,000 people. All lives are equal, but as a father, to know that over 2,000 of that number were children, makes me utterly sick to my stomach. Throughout his long trial, he showed no remorse, no sorrow. He showed not a single atom of regret when confronted with his gargantuan list of crimes. We ruled that he deserved nothing more than to be obliterated. He deserves no burial; he deserves no cremation. The world will no longer have to exist with your terrible form upon it and its inhabitants. But, unlike you we are not monsters. We have rules, you are allowed your last statement. Your foul mouth will now speak its last words, may you wish it so."

The man looked around the room at first, to all the viewers within the seating area, some of them crying and some of them biting their teeth, waiting for the metaphorical axe to come clamping down upon his neck. He moved his tongue around in his mouth before he open his lips to say his final remarks.

"A large part of me pities you, all of you. So blinded by your technology, your science, that you have destroyed your souls. You sit here with your piercing gazes awaiting the justice you mistakenly feel I deserve when it is all of you who have followed the corporations like zombies into the sciences and condemned our world to its toxic and bitter end. We did not kill your children; we stopped a new infection from forming. We did not kill your wives or husbands; we stopped a polluter from putrefying our world any longer. You, all of you are a disease and we are the cure. You may watch my time on this world come to an end on this day, but the Sons of Adam will not stop until we save our planet."

The man in the large chair gestured to the guard to push him in and lock the door. The door was made of a thick glass so all the viewers could see inside. This new method of execution had been around for a few decades now, much cleaner that anything before. No trace of the evil left to clean up.

"Begin countdown..." The judge like figure demanded

"Ten, Nine, Eight..." The speakers began to ring out

The whole building began to vibrate.

"Seven, Six, Five..."

The man looked around at the faces in the room, going in and out of view as if they were there and not there at the same time.

"Four, Three, Two..."

The Ball began to distort in and out of view. Most people were now stood waiting for the final moment. The man looked at the viewing stand and gave one last fiendish grin.

"One..."