the darkness

max's pov

i wake up in a dark abyss, no light is present.
"el!" i yell out, starting to freak out. why am i here? where is here? i hear two girls talking, i walk closer to the silhouettes. it's el, and another girl. who is this girl?

i grab the girls shoulder and it's me. but i'm different.

i scream and fall back. i keep falling back, then i hit the cold hard ground.

white fills my eyes.

"max!" el's voice fills my ears again, "max are you alright?" she grabs onto my arm.

"y-yeah i just had a bad dream, i'm okay now, because you're here. i'm safe."

she hugs me and whispers "i love you."

"i-i love you too."

i totally forgot what happened yesterday. troy attacked us, and mike and will. fuck. i hope el is doing okay.

"hey el, are you alright after yesterday?" i question her as i sit on the edge of the bed.

"yeah. after we cuddled and stuff i got into a better mood. thank you for that." she smiled as she got up from the bed.

that caused me to smile. i'm glad she's okay. about 30 minutes later el and i got dressed. i put on clothes i had stored in her closet. i put on a plain maroon shirt with a zip up black hoodie and worn jeans. el put on a light pink long sleeve and light blue jeans. she put on the necklace i gifted her when we weren't dating, during secret santa.

she looks so fucking gorgeous. i turned her around and received a gasp. i kissed her lightly and held her face delicately. she kissed back, of course. the kiss got more intense and she pushed me onto the bed, which led to her crawling on top of me.

about 1 hour passes and the clothes that were just put on landed up on the floor.

"wh-what exactly just happened?" she asked me softly.

"i-i don't know, did you enjoy it?" i asked back, i received a nod and smile back. "good, because i did too."

she giggled and kissed me on the cheek and snuggled her head up on my chest, "what should we do today?"

i looked down at her rosy cheeks and shrugged.

she got up suddenly, pulled me out of bed, and smiled. "lets go somewhere, j-just anywhere." she spun me around and giggled about.

"what do you mean somewhere?" i laughed.

"what about chicago! we could visit kali and have fun for once."

"first off, who the fuck is kali?" my eyebrows squished together in confusion.

"she's my sister.."

"oh shit." i chuckled, i didn't know that she had a sister. "you have a sister?"

"yeah, well not biologically, it's a long story."

"second, why do you want to leave to go to chicago in the first place?"

"i-i don't know, i just want to escape everything. like for example, troy and his friends, they're assholes." she sighed, "and hawkins is just so unfulfilling and a waste of time."

i nodded and allowed her to continue.

"it's so amazing in chicago and so much fun, sometimes it's scary but at least it's lively."

"yeah, i miss places like that too. like california, everyone was so relaxed there, so many cool people. but that's too far and it's in the dust now." i sighed, "let's pack up." i finished sternly.

about 1 hour passes and we're both packed up,
we packed: two toothbrushes, our walkie talkies, $50, a lot of clothes, a blindfold, a hairbrush, and two separate pairs of shoes.

"do you think this is enough?" she asked me.

"yes, maybe even more than enough." i smiled at her, "are you one hundred percent sure that you wanna do this el?"

she nodded "yes, but we should tell the boys first."

"good idea!" i grabbed my walkie talkie out of my backpack and called them.

"what's going on?" mike asked, he obviously just got up.

"uh is anyone else awake?" i asked.

"not that i know of."

"well shit, then just tell them that we're leaving." i sighed, i wish we could talk to them, what if this is our last time even talking to mike?

"what?! leaving to where?" he started freaking out.

"chicago." el interrupted.

"CHICAGO?"

"i mean it's not that far and i've already gone there, my sister is there, i think.."

"f-fine but just please stay safe." he sighed, "i love you both, very much."

"we love you too mike." we said in unison. "please tell the boys that too. goodbye."

"bye." he said as static then filled the walkie talkie speakers.

"you ready babe?" i received a nod back, "then let's get out of here."

we walked steadily to the bus stop, where we would pay our fees. the navy blue bus pulled up and we piled on, giving the old bus driver a total of $10. we sat down in one of the further rows, i sat by the frosted window and el sat next to me.

el laid her head on my shoulder and passed out, we were both tired. i flickered my eyes and they shut, darkness flowing through my mind.

i was back in that utter darkness again. the only noise was the black void that i was in, strange. i was seeing a projector and it was playing these vivid scenes of something i had never seen before. it looked like straight out of a movie, is that chicago?

i walked closer and saw me and el running with some people, who are they? we're all laughing and smiling, i don't think that's kali because she is older than el, these people look our age.

then screams fill my ears, crucially loud screams. i try to fall to the ground, but i keep falling. it's feels like my limbs are falling off of my torso. tears stream down my red cheeks.

then i'm woken by honking of the bus horn, "hey sleepy heads, you've made it to chicago."

me and el groan and get up, grabbing our backpacks and heading down the aisle of the bus, "thank you sir."

"you're welcome! have a safe trip."

el is waiting on the cracked sidewalk for me, "this is it." she says "welcome to chicago."

-
a/n: i'm so sorry for not updating for a month school just sucks and there's been a lot of unnecessary drama, but i hope you enjoyed this chapter :)
word count: 1060