Chapter Twenty-Eight: Rescuing

Garret’s eyes snapped to the door. Flynn stepped in, wearing a grim expression. When he saw Garret was awake, he gave him a weak smile. “Hey.”

            Garret frowned. “Something wrong?”

            “Nothing. How’s your shoulder?”

            He shrugged. “It’s good. It’s not that painful anymore.” Garret readjusted himself on the sofa and closed the book that he was reading. “So… what’s with the expression?”

            Flynn ignored him and sat down on the armchair just in front of him. Garret waited patiently.

            It’s been two days since Garret got home from the hospital. He was still wearing his arm sling because his shoulder was not fully healed yet. The doctor told him to stay in his house and not to do anything. So there he was, idling twenty-four hours a day while Roxanne takes care of him.

            Finally, Flynn looked up at him. “We’re rescuing Melanie today.”

            Garret’s eyes widened. “Why did nobody tell me? I’m going with you.”

            Flynn shook his head. “It’s dangerous. And you’re in your sling. You’re not in the perfect condition to help us.”

            Garret glared at him. “This is my girlfriend we’re talking about. I want to save her more than anybody does!”

            “Oh really? What about her parents?”

            “It’s not the same.”

            “Oh?”

            He inhaled sharply. “The point is that I want to come with you! Sling or with no sling, I’m coming! No one can stop me.”

            “It’s dangerous,” Flynn warned. “This was Dad’s idea.”

            “Dad? He’s helping the authority to fight Mom?”

            He shrugged. “It’s the right thing to do, isn’t it?”

            For a moment, there was silence. Then Garret shook his head. “You’re not making me stay here. I’m going with you. That’s not a request. It’s a command.”

            “I don’t really give a damn.” Flynn’s eyes hardened. “You want the truth? You want to know why we won’t let you come with us? Because Alexander and Lillian don’t want you to get near with their daughter, that’s why! They don’t want you anymore for Melanie. Because you lied to her, to us… you lied, Garret.”

            Tears stung Garret’s eyes. But he did not dare spill it in front of his brother. “You – you have no idea how hard it is to realize that Melanie is really the princess, Flynn. You have no idea how helpless I felt when Jensen kidnapped her. You just don’t know.”

            “That is not the point! The point is you lied to us!”

            “But I didn’t mean to!” Garret cried. “Mom never promised you to be king! I did! You were never pressured by your mother to be the best! All my life, Mom wants me to be the best, to be the perfect child, to be the extraordinary! Even though it’s very tiring, I still did it. Because I loved my mom. She wanted me to be king and when she learned that Lillian was pregnant, she was so upset that I told her to kidnap the baby. Then she did.”

            Flynn remained quiet and just stared at his own brother. Then he shook his head slightly then stood up. “You’re not coming with us and that’s final.”