4

HE’S MINE, NO OBJECTIONS ALLOWED CHAPTER 4

Chapter 4, Female Scoundrel

There were only two judges for this round of audition.

One was the scriptwriter. It was rumoured that this script took him three years to finish, so he was rather attached to it and viewed the movie seriously.

The other was the director, Li Min, who took the most well-known prize in the director circles and was the only female director to have been awarded the ‘best director’ award in the past ten years. She was also Su Yi’s Bo Le [note: there was a well-known Chinese fable about a horse tamer who was able to discover a good horse from among many. It’s now used to show a person who’s good at discovering, recommending and training a new talent, particularly a person who had chosen one from among the masses.]. The first TV show Su Yi had been part of was a big production, her role as the second female lead was thanks to Li Min’s decision to have her regardless of the disagreements from other parties.

When Li Min saw her, she smiled and nodded imperceptibly.

Su Yi curved her lips upwards slightly in response. To the left of the stage, there was a Qi Pao on the chair. It was bright red, one of the dance wears of the second female lead in ‘Undercurrent’; this role was that of a famous prostitute in that era, a beautiful seductress who died under the male lead’s sword. Su Yi put on the outfit, took her hairband off and tied her black hair loosely behind her neck.

“I’m ready.”

Li Min said, “Then let’s begin, the third act, opening scene…”

“Wait,” the scriptwriter sitting to the side interrupted her. He was frowning as he flipped through the script, only finding the scene he wished to see after a long while. Looking up at Su Yi, he asked, “Have you seen the whole script?”

Su Yi said, “I’ve read the whole thing.”

“Okay, then can you perform that scene where you present a dance and offer a toast? You know which one that is right?”

Faced with the sudden request, Su Yi was not flustered. Instead, she smiled.

Li Min smiled too. The few actress who came before had performed the third act as was prescribed, Su Yi was the only exception the scriptwriter made.

Which meant that Su Yi was also an exception.

Su Yi didn’t reply. Instead, she raised her right hand, her fingers curled into beautiful curves as if she was holding a wine vessel.

She hadn’t actually been in a dance class before, but because of the requirement of one of the roles she’d acted as before, she’d self-studied pole-dancing.

With the backdrop of being in the early years of the Republic of China, pole-dancing wasn’t of much use, but it could make someone appear to be extraordinarily limber – in short, twisting her waist, lifting her leg and bending over weren’t much of an issue.

She improvised a section, emphasizing her hand and offering up a nonexistent wine vessel a few times. There was a challenge in her eyes as she blew kisses at the judges’ table. Her robes were spacious yet they let people unconsciously feel that she was extremely seductive.

At the end of her dance, she stepped forward and with a slight bow, offered up the wine to air, saying, “My lord, Qiu Ji toasts you.”

The scriptwriter was a man who was forty-something, with black-rimmed glasses and an obvious beer belly. He looked at Su Yi, satisfaction filling his eyes. “Good, good, what is a beauty? Slender hands, expressive eyes and a flexible waist. As expected of someone Director Li finds acceptable.”