you have an anxiety attack

It came on from out of nowhere. Things seemed to be fine one second and then the next you could feel the anxiety washing over you. You excused yourself from the the couch with Hailee to go into the bathroom down the hall, locking yourself inside as you tried to control your breathing.

It felt impossible though. Your breathing was labored and your heart was pounding in your chest, your head swarming with thoughts of fear and anxiety that just hit you from out of nowhere. You closed your eyes and tried to catch your breath but you couldn't and it made you even more anxious.

There was a knock on the door that pulled you out of your thoughts. "Y/n? You okay?" You didn't know whether you should just try to keep handling it on your own or let Hailee in. You couldn't speak and you knew that if you didn't let her in that would worry her more so you slid across the floor on your knees and reached your shaky hand up to turn the lock on the door.

You slid back against the tub and pulled your knees to your chest just as the door opened. Hailee sat down next to you and put her hand on your shoulder, a frown on her lips. "Y/n what's wrong?" You tried to take a few deep breaths but you couldn't. "C-Can't breathe." You whimpered and Hailee realized right then what was happening. She moved a hand to cup your chin, your eyes moving up to look into hers. "Okay y/n, it's okay. Just look at me, try to breathe. you can do it."

You shook your head, insistent that you couldn't. Hailee wrapped her arm around your back and pulled you to her chest, your ear resting right over her heart as she whispered words of comfort and encouragement in your ear.

The soothing beat of her heart under your ear helped you to relax and the feeling of her chest moving up and down as she breathed helped you to match yours with hers. "That's my girl. You're doing good, baby. You're so strong and so brave." She encouraged, rubbing your shoulder comfortingly.

Soon enough the lump in your throat was gone and the knot in your stomach had disappeared too. Your heart rate was much more normal now and your breathing was back to normal too. You put your head on Hailee's shoulder and let her pull you between her legs, her arms hooking around your stomach as she rested her chin on your shoulder. "See, baby? You did great. I'm proud of you." She kissed your head and you smiled, thankful that she was there to help you through that.