Title

Axel's POV

"Axel?"

I don't know why I respond so drastically, but I pause in my work. It takes me a moment to respond, too unfamiliar with the situation to know what to do.

"Master?" I correct Hazel. She looks up in confusion for a second, pausing her petting. Blue meows angrily, but Hazel doesn't snap out it it for another second. Her face goes red and she sits back, recoiling from me.

I didn't mean to make her shrink away, I didn't even raise a hand. I wasn't going to hit her. I was just correcting her.

"What's up, Doll?" I ask softly, pretending nothing had happened.

She opens and closes her mouth, her face still bright red. "Nothing," she finally says. I check back on the eggs for a moment, not dropping the conversation, but not wanting to burn breakfast either.

"Haz—" I start to say, but when I turn around, she's already left the kitchen with Blue.

The clang of my father's coffee cup on the table makes me look over to him. He looks at me for a second before going back to his news paper.

"I wasn't mean," I say defensively. I really wasn't. I didn't get it yell or even threaten punishment. All I did was correct her.

"I didn't say anything," he says.

"You gave me a look," I say in exasperation, taking me and Hazel's food off the stove.

"You and Hazel have been getting close," he notes.

It's true me and Hazel have made really good progress since I punished her two weeks ago.

"And?" I ask him, not seeing the point.

"Axel... if I have to explain it to you," he sighs.

"So you are mad?" Why can't he just tell me straight out?

"I'm not mad... I'm just... your relationship with Hazel is your business, Axel."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"What you do or don't allow her to address you as is up to you, Axel..." he sighs.

"What?"

He shrugs, "I...it's nothing."

I roll my eyes and let it go. "Hazel! Breakfast," I call, setting her plate down on the floor. "Oh shoot," I say, seeing the time. I look down at my plate. "Damn it. I got to go. Hazel! Breakfast," I call again, shoving my shoes on.

I grab my keys, looking for Hazel to come in.

"I'll make sure she eats," my dad say, I nod, my brows furrowed as to where Hazel is and why she isn't coming to eat or say goodbye.

"Bye, Doll," I call in a last effort to have her come wish me goodbye like I so desperately want.

I have to leave though before I ever get a reply.

————

I fill out my time sheet with lazy movements. "Long day?" Evan asks me. I look up, seeing him standing next to me at the counter, filling out his time sheet too.

"Oh yeah. Sorry", I apologize, knowing I've been in my head all day about what happened with Hazel this morning.

I don't think she was mad. She didn't really get mad as far as I can tell. Perhaps she was hurt? I didn't raise my voice or anything, but maybe to her I did?

"You look troubled... penny for you thoughts?" He asks me, half filling out his sheet, half listening.

I pause in my own time sheet, letting out a sigh. "It's nothing really, just something happened this morning with my sub." I admit.