31. ONLY HUMAN

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
[ONLY HUMAN]

Kai awoke to loud music coming from outside of his bedroom

Kai awoke to loud music coming from outside of his bedroom. His eyelids opened heavily as he questioned whether he even fell asleep last night. The dark ceiling was the first thing he saw as he took a deep breath, trying to keep calm as he knew what he was about to walk into.

It had been two weeks since the incident with Tyler.

Molly had completely spiraled out of control— or was well on her way. Trying to use constant sex and alcohol as a coping mechanism was getting her nowhere— and as fun as that was for Kai at first, he was getting fed up.

He threw his blankets off of him and stood up from his bed, swinging the door open as he put his shirt— that was previously on the ground— back on.

Molly stood in the kitchen with a black oversized hoody over her bare legs. A bottle of scotch in one hand, and what looked like a blunt in the other.

Kai rubbed his temples as he turned down the music on his stereo. Molly turned to look at him with narrowed eyebrows before turning back to the fridge she had just opened.

"I thought you were going to go back to school today." Kai sighs, watching as Molly examined the empty fridge.

"You need to go to the grocery store." She says, before taking a big swig from the drink in her hand, then wiping her mouth on the sleeve of her sweatshirt.

"Or you can." Kai suggests. Molly turns to look at him with a blank look on her face. Red clouded her eyes as deep dark circles formed under her skin. Her pale lips were chapped, and any color left in her skin was minimal. "You haven't left the apartment in two weeks."

Molly doesn't speak for a second before shrugging. "Don't have a reason to." She says, before putting the blunt to her lips.

"Is that mine?" He gestures towards the blunt and a smile forms on her face.

"You're not very good at hiding your stash." She chuckles, her voice was coarse and rough.

Kai didn't laugh. "Why aren't you at school?" He says, walking over to where she stood by the counter.

"I just don't feel like going." Molly shrugs. Kai's expression doesn't change from aggravated and Molly rolls her eyes. "Why are you so grumpy all the time?" She says, walking past him and into the living room.

Kai takes another deep breath. "I haven't slept in four days because I've been dealing with all of your shit." He says angrily.

Molly stops in her tracks and turns around to face him slowly, shocked at how fast it took him to admit why he was being such a buzzkill. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you I don't need a fucking babysitter." She says through gritted teeth.