xviii

December 1st

December 1st

song(s) for this chapter: all this love X debarge

"Whatcha wanna do for your birthday, princess?" Gionni asked Nayeli as they walked down the street. They were taking Chanel on a walk for Nadira, she had to stay late at work for a staff meeting and Gionni was more than happy to do it.

"Umm, can we go to the fair? Oh! Can we go to Disney? I've never been to Disney, daddy," she rattled off random ideas. Her sixth birthday was coming up on January 19th, and Gionni usually had a party for her and her friends and family, but he figured she was old enough to know what she wanted to do this year, and of course he'd give it to her.

"You wanna go to Disney World? We can do that. You want it to be just us or you want everyone to come?" he asked, as Chanel stopped to sniff some grass.

"Everyone! Uncle Gio and Dally, Izzy, Nyx, Mora, Gigi and Cai, papa and TT Tink, and TT Mina, Uncle Chrissy—"

"Okay baby," Gionni laughed as she listed all of her family members names. "I'll tell everyone, we can go to Disney, Nai," he smiled at his daughter.

"Yay! Thank you daddy!" she cheesed, "Is mama gonna come?" she asked with hopeful eyes, making her father grin.

They had a few conversations about Nayeli calling Nadira mama. When she woke up from her nap that day, Gionni sat her down and they discussed it.

"Nayeli, baby," Gionni began, sitting across from her as she started on her homework.

"Yes, daddy?" she replied, looking up from her paper.

"Nadira told me that you called her mama today. Is that true?" he asked gently, making her smile and blush a bit. She nodded and he smiled back. "Did you mean it?"

"Yes sir," she said confidently.

"You did? Can you tell me why?"

"Yes, she makes me happy a lot. In school, when we talk about mommies and daddies, my teacher said your mommy is supposed to love you and make you happy when you're sad, and make everything feel better, and she always makes me feel better. I love her so much and she said she loves me too. Did I say something wrong?" she asked.

Gionni honestly didn't expect for her to say anything like that, but he was very glad she said it honestly and from her heart.

"No, no of course not babygirl. If you feel that way about Dira that's okay, that makes daddy very happy. It makes Nadira happy too. She does love you very much, princess. Do you wanna keep calling her mama?" he asked her, and she nodded eagerly.

From then on, Nayeli referred to Nadira as mama or mommy exclusively. Gionni also asked Saija if she could talk to her about it during their next session. As Nadira's friend, Saij couldn't hide her excitement about it, but made sure to discuss it with Nayeli the following Friday.