Chapter Nineteen

The tension between us melts away. Our lips take part in a sacred dance together. It feels right like I should have been feeling this my whole life. When we pull back, part of me feels like I need more. It takes all my will power not to pull him back into the kiss.

"Um, sorry," he states. He stares at the floor and the original shyness that he had when we met returns.

"Flynn, it's okay," I state.

"Celia, I need to tell you the truth," he says. I nod and sit down on the edge of his bed again.

"What is it?  I ask him. He sits down on the piano bench.

"The reason I didn't tell you why I could play any instruments," Flynn says. I sit quietly and stare at him. He doesn't look at me. Instead he keeps his attention on the floor.

"I learned to play both when I was really little. I was going to be a musician before the castes were eliminated. My parents were really proud of it until I was ten," he says. He shifts uncomfortably and his eyes drift closer to me but still don't land on me.

"It was nine years ago when it happened. My parents sold all of our instruments. They sold our house and packed everything up. We were out on the farm with at least 200 cows and tons of acres of land," he explains. He sits in silence for a few minutes. I can't figure out if he is waiting for me to say something or if he is thinking.

"So, how can you still play?" I ask. This time his ears drift to mine and a cold chill snakes up my spine.

"I complained at first. My parents started yelling at me but it became much worse by the time I was 15. That's when I met our neighbors. They had a child my age and they could play piano. I would sneak over almost every night for the next couple of years and they would let me practice on their keyboard," Flynn explained.

"Oh, what was their name?" I ask. He thinks for a moment like he is hesitant to tell me.

"Sam. Their name was Sam," he states. I nod.

"Well, I would love to meet this Sam sometime. So, what did you mean by you snuck over for the next couple of years. Did you get caught or something?" I ask. He bites his lip and stares at the floor.

"Um, Sam moved and I wasn't able to sneak over anymore," he says.

"So, why did your parents dislike the piano so much?" I ask.

"They didn't like their pasts and the way they were forced into that life. They got out as soon as possible," Flynn states.

"What did you mean when they would do much worse than yelling at you?" I ask.

"I don't think I can talk about it," he says.

"Okay," I say. I accept it even though my curiosity tells me to keep questioning him. A painful look occupies his eyes. It reminds me of when my father told me about the way his father used to punish him.
So, yeah... Okay, first of all, I don't want Flynn to sound like Maxon but... Yeah. And second, why do you think Flynn was so nervous to talk about Sam? Please tell my what you think and if you have any ideas.

And I plan on letting you know the other three elite since you only know about Flynn and Kevin. :)

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.