#25 Void

Emily is doing her history homework at her desk in her bedroom. She scratches her head and bites her lips. What type of question is this? Urgghh! She grunts in frustration and takes out a reference book from her bag and starts searching for some information for her homework.

   "Ha! This is the answer!" Emily raises up her hands triumphantly and quickly finishes her last homework for the day.

   "Yay! I've completed my homework! Now, I can go and relax and --" Emily's next word has been interrupted by someone in the doorway.

   "Hey, Emily! Could you do me a favour?" Thomas walks into Emily's bedroom after opening the door without knocking it first. He carries a pile of books and stationery and puts them on Emily's bed.

   "Wait, wait. First of all, who asked you to come in? And second, what type of favour do you need me to do for you?" Emily asks Thomas whilst arranging her books on the desk.

   "Help me with my chemistry homework, please?" Thomas ignores Emily's first question and sits on her bed.

   "Another homework? Urgghh.. I just want to relax right now!" Emily sits lazily on her chair, sighing.

   "Please, Emily? Pretty please?" Thomas pleads and tries to make the puppy eyes, but it doesn't work and he looks like a tiger instead.

   "Hmm..." Emily closes her eyes and pretends to be sleeping.

   "Come on, Em! Please... Em, Emmy, Milly ~" Thomas uses every nickname whilst walking towards Emily and poking her arm softly. "If you help me, I will make you a lasagna," he coaxes.

   "Huh? Do you even know how to cook?" Emily opens her eyes.

   "I'm an expert at making lasagna, you know? Everyone loves it," Thomas says proudly.

   "Really?" Emily narrows her eyes doubtfully, but somehow she feels like she can trust Thomas. "All right! I'll help you," she stands up from her cosy chair.

   "Woohoo!" Thomas punches the air and sits on the floor, beside Emily's bed and gathers his things in front of him.

   "Okay, let me see," Emily sits in front of Thomas and looks at his book whilst scrunching up her nose, thinking of a solution.

   "So, what are we going to do?" Thomas puts his chin on his palm and stares at Emily.

   "Here.." Emily grabs a pencil and writes something on a piece of paper. Thomas leans forward and listens to every word she says.

   A few moments later, the twins are lying on their stomachs on the floor whilst still working together to finish the homework.

   "Tom! You're supposed to multiply it. Not divide," Emily hands the calculator back to Thomas who is scratching his head, realising his mistake.

   "So, the answer is B. Right?" Thomas shows Emily the equation that he made.

   Emily scrutinises Thomas' handwriting that is a bit messy, sloppy and even cursive and tries to understand it. "Yes, you're right!" she smiles and pats his back hardly, just to annoy him.

   Thomas ignores Emily's pat which is not so hard to him and doesn't hurt him and moves to another question.

   Emily watches Thomas solving the next question and furrows her eyebrows in confusion when she noticed his hands start to fade away. She backs away a bit to find almost half of his body begins to disappear.

   "Tom? Why are you --" Emily tries to put her hand on Thomas' shoulder, but it just passes through his body. She gasps shockingly.

   "What's happening, Tom? Thomas! Tom!" Emily yells in panic as Thomas gradually vanishes and now, there is no one in front of her. She is alone in her room. She stands up and hurries to the door.