Chapter Thirteen

You were surprised to find that Mirio was laughing again at lunch. You hadn't expected him to bounce back this fast. Sure, you knew that the same thing had happened in the manga, but realistically, he should have still been grieving. No one could get over another person's death within two days. Not without distancing themselves from their feelings on it, anyways.

Nejire seemed to think that something was off too, and you silently explained the situation to both her and Tamaki when Mirio left to get lunch. They were both shocked and gave you a sympathetic look when you told them that you and Mirio had found the body.

You tried to ignore it. You were a lot of things, but you weren't someone who enjoyed being pitied. It made you feel... weak. You didn't like it. It was an uncomfortable feeling- you couldn't help it. You just wanted people to understand instead.

When Mirio came back and the other two left to grab their own lunches, you decided to just ask what you were concerned about. "Are you okay? Be honest, Mirio."

He gave you a bright smile. "I'm alright! I just know that Sir wouldn't want me to be sad- he'd want me to keep smiling so that I could be the best hero I can be! So that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to be a hero and make him proud."

You nodded hesitantly. "I understand that, but you know that it's okay to mourn, right? It's completely reasonable. Especially since we... we..." You trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

Apparently, Mirio got the gist of what you were going to say and sighed. "I know. I'm not in any state to be smiling. But I can't be sad, okay? Not when he would want me to keep going. I'm going to avenge his death. We're going to find out who did it so that we can make sure they never hurt anyone again. I know this wasn't supposed to happen. If it was, you would've warned me, right? You wouldn't have been so surprised. That means that the timeline you know is being screwed up. And it's my fault."

You shook your head. "None of this is your fault, Mirio. It isn't any of ours. We didn't know what was going to happen. If we did, we would have stopped it. That's what matters, isn't it? None of this is your fault, I promise."

Mirio frowned, but didn't speak anymore on the matter. Instead, he gave you another smile and a mischievous glance. "Well, I Togata-go throw my lunch away. I'll be back in a second."

You groaned at his pun, not having expected it. He walked off with his tray, and you were left to your own devices at the table. What you'd told Mirio was true, but you'd mostly been trying to convince yourself of the same thing. This entire scenario wasn't supposed to happen- just as he said. That meant it was your fault. In some way, shape, or form, you were the reason why Nighteye was dead. If you hadn't been transported here, he would've lived a little longer. Mirio would've gotten to hear his last words. All Might would've gotten to apologize.

You hated yourself for it. You tried to keep your head up, but in the last few days you'd witnessed two deaths- one of which had happened right in front of you. It was hard. In your excitement to meet new people and have new experiences, you forgot how dark this world could be.

Especially the hero commission, you thought to yourself. You had a gut feeling that they were involved in Nighteye's demise. Why else would he have died right after checking in with them? You wanted to say that it was just your anxiety, but something told you otherwise... You vaguely remembered the hero commission raising up assassins and other dark heroes. You wouldn't put it past them to silence someone if they had dug too deep into the wrong thing. You just needed to figure out a way to bring it up to Mirio.

When he got back to the table, you proposed your theory. "I think that the hero commission had something to do with Nighteye's death," you began. "It doesn't make sense for him to die right after he reached out to them regarding me. And what was that in his message? Something about not letting a group find out about me? What if it was about them? It makes sense, and I don't like it."