Chapter 43: Influence

When it came to hosting fancy events like those, Mirai was clueless. She hated having to rub shoulders and laugh at lame jokes while leisurely sipping on champagne. She knew that the event was a usefull tool to showcase Namjoon and her's partnership and influence; but she still dreaded it. That's why she left the organisation of the event to Namjoon and his men.

Even though she was technically a host, she had no idea what to expect from the reception.

She slipped on two leather holdserts , the left one  with a small pistol on the inside of her thigh and the right one with a knife and some ammo.

She secured her hair up with the silver broach Namjoon had given her and slipped on her black evening gown and black heels.

Dressing in all back was the logical choice. It showed some respect due to her father's recent passing and it was flattering, flattering enough to hide the weapons she was carrying.

The long slit on the side of the dress made it easy to move in and it gave easy access to her arsenal.

She looked over her shoulder in the mirror at the dress' plunging back and her exposed tattoos.

The girl in the mirror didn't look like and imposter anymore, but something was missing. She grabbed her lipstick and carefully painted her lips the color of blood.

She smiled at her reflection.

There she was.

After all this time; lady Kuromiya was finally looking and feeling like her true self.

Her chauffeur dropped her off at the venue early and the immense hotel lobby they had reserved for the occasion was still empty of guests with the exception of Namjoon and his closest men who were drinking at the bar.

The one who she remembered as Jimin had blushed cheeks and was swaying on his bar stool, looking a bit tipsy already.

''Woah, she's too hot to handle, someone call the firefighters!'' he said flirtingly while pushing his hair back.

His one liner made Mirai laugh, but the rest of men's face drained from blood.

Namjoon sent Jimin a death glare and Jin punched the younger man on the shoulder as a warning as they bowed politely. Mirai returned the gesture as Namjoon came closer and grabbed her hand before putting a soft kiss on it.

''Good evening lady Kuromiya... Are you ready for this long night of handshakes and small talk?'' he said after some hesitation, like he was looking for his words.

''Good evening, Mr Kim. I can't say I'm ready yet, but in a glass or two I'll be numb enough to tolerate it.'' she joked. ''I'll just start with a glass of wine, I want to stay sober enough so you don't have to carry me to bed this time around.''

''Not that I would mind...''

Mirai chuckled and rolled her eyes at Namjoon's hungry expression.

The guests arrived soon enough and Mirai had to indulge in endless small talk as well as act as an interpreter for Namjoon to understand the Japanese and Russian guests that were trying to chat with him.

Usually she would have to dodge unwanted advances in an event like this, but Namjoon's threatening presence by her side had everyone on their best behaviour.

Overall, the experience was boring but none too displeasing as far as these stuffy events went.

The only truly bad part was that Mirai's feet were killing her, she shifted her weight from side to side and didn't even have time to finish forming the thought of going to sit down before Namjoon offered her his arm to lean on a guided her to the bar.