13.5

Alonso

"You no listen to me, how dis work" Kyra complained next to me as I was stirring her oatmeal she wanted this morning. "I can't go to kool"  she said glancing at her sister who nodded to encourage her to keep going. "And Millia stay with me " she then quickly added. I put her oatmeal bowl where she was going to sit at the island and eat next to her sister, then helped her off the counter and to her feet.

  "Well you're already dressed, so why can't you go bug?"  I asked and she just lifted her foot up then placed it down passive aggressively before getting in her chair, the next to come into the kitchen was Naylani who looked dressed for school but like she needed to finish doing her hair— what gave me that idea was her hand full of hair products she dropped on the table.  "Goodmorning Lani" I started but the girl gave me a desperate grunt as a response.

"Dadddd can I please hold 10 dollars?" She instantly pleaded as she was trying to maybe put her hair in a bun? At this point I couldn't tell. My eyes kept flickering towards the doorway hoping Nassiah would come through soon enough. He lied to everyone but me, that boy was spending less and less time at the shop and more time at the trap. Even with his name being big in the streets he use to let his name be the only thing in it; more like a myth. But once again he couldn't lie to me, I know he tried to merk a nigga the other day, I also know he's trying to avoid me to avoid having the conversation we need to have. He can't go back down this fucking path.

  "Oh what the fuck happens to yo finger, it's bout fat as fuck"  Naylani said aggressively as king let out a small whisper pulling it away from her.

  "Bad word- gimme money" Kamillia exclaimed with a devious smile on her face she handed out her small hand towards her older sister but Naylani pushed its away still making commotion about Kings hand.

  "Naylani watch yourself,  and king come here" I passed Naylani the milk as she only got to taking out the cereal box after having her hair break down. I walked towards the boy whose been stressing me out and none the less saw two swollen fingers. When I went to touch them he hissed before I even got the chance.

"Stop itt, they just hurt a little I'll be fine" he tried to lie, king was just about as good of a liar when it came to his father sometimes. Other times he can pass if I'm not paying much attention. Today I was.

"King then shits look broken and they turning blueish nigga" I added grabbing his wrist I tried to move his finger and he let out a small yelp.

"King a baby" Kyra started giggling.

"Bye go get your shoes, both of you" me and the twins had a stare off for a bit before they ran away giggling after Kyra took another few bites.

"What happened to your finger king?" I asked as I grabbed the boys wrist to look at it up close.  He just shrugged and mumbled something under his breath. "Speak up Na, and look at me when I'm speaking to you" he sighed lifting his head up, I saw how he kept looking at it as if it was the end of his life, his eyes glancing down at his fingers than at me and each time more tears filled them.

   "Y-you  think they'll let me p-play" he asked looking up at me with big eyes that almost made the kid look 2 again.

   "Not with them fingers king, you dodging around my fucking question got me thinking you was doing fuck shit"  I added letting go of his hand. Our stare was going on for awhile until Naylani let us both know Nassiah had indeed came downstairs.

   "Papi can I have 10 dollars?" She tried my eyes flicked to my husband who was dressed and ready for work, he looked calm but I could tell by the way his eyes slowly scammed the room his mind was busy.

   "Fuck mane, always need something come yo" he spoke calmly before leaving the room.

  "Pa? You wanna take them to school- I'm taking king to the doctor"  I called making the lightskin take a few steps back to be back in my visual. "Fuck wrong with him?" He asked without missing a beat his eyes landed on king and I saw the boy try to sink into his chair.

"His fingers broke,and he wanna act like they ain't like that's gonna make him be able to play"

"Dumbass,I'm out- I gotcu"

.......

   King sat besides me like his world was falling apart, I watched without him knowing but the boy was anxious- more than he usually was. "Dad, can we just leave then they can't make me s-

"You're not playing basketball with em shits— shouldve been more careful" I added checking the time.

    "I'm almost grown I can-

"You can what king? You've been acting like a unpleased  7 year old for months now, so tell me where is the grown part of anything you've been doing?"  The young boy remained silent.

"I can deal with it on my own, I don't need your guys help— you'll just wave a gun around" he muttered making a bitter laugh come from my lips.

   "You done? Or finished King? You're not gonna disrespect me, or your father. You think everything's black and white until you're in the streets and  everyone has a big ego and wants to be labeled as the best- beefs start over everything and anything and in them streets half the time if you don't shoot first you're dead" I added lowly so only he could hear. "Pull yo ass together, let it fucking go cause what would you do without Nassiah Hmm?" He went to open his mouth then the door opened letting us know the doctor was coming in.

"So we looked at your x-rays and your fingers are broken, but if you listen to directions and do what you should— you should be back on the court in a month or so" he spoke looking back inbetween me and king. But like I assumed he would he kept it together for the most part, for a long time. While they fitted him for his finger cast- tapped the other one around the two- he stayed calm when they gave him the slip for being benched all the way until we got to the car, an ugly sob came out.

"King it's okay, you still have the whole season" I tried to reassure him but he looked at me with an exhausted look in his eyes and let out a sigh.

"Yeah it's okay" he used the back of his hand to wipe his face then forced out a shaky smile.

Something didn't feel right, dropping king off at school my mind wanted to maybe make something a bigger deal than it was as Nassiah would say— something's up with king. So when I walked into the shop and saw my husband it was like he knew I was going to say something by he way his facial expression changed. "What" he said looking up form the computer screen.

"You look good pa" he almost smiled before shaking his head and repeating the same word over.

"Say what you gotta say boy fore I loose patience with you"

"Somethings up with king"

"Yeah he's an asshole" he spoke dryly then smacked his lips together and motioned for me to continue.

"But today he looked so— I don't know how to even put it- but something's wrong"

"He probably looked like a fucking asshole"

"Actually he looked like you, but the broken version" the words left my mouth sort of like an unfinished sentence but the silence after that fell between us said enough. He believed me.