Chapter 1- One Step At A Time

Everything that you always wished for could be yours, should be yours, would be yours…

I fumble through my bag as I look for my car keys. My hands start to shake as I think that I might have lost them. I stop in the middle of the road, slinging my bag onto the ground and begin to search. My state of mind is full of panic.

 As I search, someone honks their horn. I look up, dazed and confused.

 A black Mercedes car in the shape of a box appears before me. Its tinted windows cover the driver’s face. Everyone was supposed to be in the film room, studying films of the team they face this coming weekend. I’m guessing someone’s late. Great timing.

 “Sorry!” I yelled, running towards my car in embarrassment and shame. My face is flushed, my hands shaking uncontrollably as I land my bag onto the trunk of the car, continuing my search for my car keys. The driver doesn’t budge the car for a few seconds.

 I look back, curious as to why the car didn’t move. At that moment, the driver drove away. I panic, believing the driver was filming me being as flimsy as I am.

The reason why I am clumsily at the parking lot is because I was accepted to sing the National Anthem this weekend in CenturyLink Field. I was sent to go to the VMAC center today to discuss with them the transportation, what my stage presence will be, and when I will perform.

 I enter my condo, drop my keys into the bowl of keys placed next to the door and sit on the couch. My roommate and best friend isn’t home. I’m guessing with her boyfriend, Alex. I turn on the TV, put up my recordings and begin watching the “Scouting Report with Steve Raible”. One of my favorite players, Steven Hauschka is getting interviewed. I grab a blueberry muffin from the pantry as I listen to the interview. He was talking about the 59 yard field goal he made recently and how he came to prepare for it. What do you expect? He’s Mr. Automatic.

 As I take a bite out of my blueberry muffin, a kid who has leukemia gets interviewed. He was given the opportunity to hang out and meet the Seattle Seahawks players. One of the players he met made my face grin, it was Russell Wilson. The clip showed Russell and the kid throwing the football back and forth to each other. I couldn’t help, but stare in awe. His toned abs, his tight clenched jaw, his short curly hair. Everything about him was perfect. The report ends as it heads off to a commercial.

 I sit back on the couch as I finish my blueberry muffin and burp. I’m attractive as can be.

 “Good one,” chuckles my best friend as she walks into the room. I look back and smile.

 “So, how was visiting Alex from work?” I ask as I turn off the TV and face her. She adjusts herself as she sits on the kitchen counter.

 “Awesome,” she expresses as a huge grin places on her face. She is lucky to find that special someone.

 “That’s good. You’re lucky.”

 She is lucky. My best friend, Cecilia, and her boyfriend, Alex, have been in a relationship for about 3 years now and as for me? The last time I’ve been in a relationship was 2 years ago. My recent ex-boyfriend and I lasted for about 4 years until we realized that it wasn’t going to work out between us. We suddenly lost our feelings. We’re not friends, we don’t keep in contact, but we’re just acquaintances who talk about football and help each other out with groceries. That’s it. I needed someone new and I haven’t found that special someone yet. I’ve been on dates and one relationship since then, but none have seemed particularly good enough to be my “one”.

 “Well, not as lucky as you. You get to let yourself be known. Show your talent! This is your dream come true!”

 “I know right?” I sigh, grabbing another muffin. “But I don’t want to meet that person that honked me.”

 “Wait, honked as in squeezed your tush or honked as in honk their car?”

 Laughing, I managed to shake the thought away. “If someone honked my tush, I would know who it is.”

 “Well--…Nevermind.”

 The room became silent in awkward laughter.

 “No seriously, what happened?” Cecilia managed to ask.

 “Well, I was having trouble finding my keys in my sports bag,” lifting it to show her, “and I started to panic, so I stopped in the middle of the road and began to search. I knew no one was coming because all the players and coaches were in the film room. At least, that’s what it looked like. It could have been a visitor, but the only way to get in the parking lot was you were either a part of the team or in any part of owning and managing the team or if you were on a special meeting, which of course is me.”

 “Right. Did you look to see who it is?”

 “No. The windows were tinted. I only know the car, a black Mercedes Benz, but I’m not sure the model. I just know that it looked like a box.”

 “A box car? Maybe look them up?”

 “Nah, I’d rather leave it be. It’s Friday, I got work.”

 “Right. I’m staying at Alex’s tonight. Help me pack before you leave?”

 “Fine.” Smiling, I get up and walk with her to her room. I can’t wait till she and I both figure out who this mysterious driver is.