02 | s n a k e y t o n g u e

{L} ockhart was being especially useless today.

We were with all the first years, practicing our dueling skills. The guy didn't even know how to do it right, Snape totally wiped his butt on the floor.

Then, of course, Draco and Harry were called up. I facepalmed.

Draco smirked, "Scared, Potter?"

"You wish."

Before the count of three, Draco cast a spell. "Everte Statum!"

"Draco!" I said warningly, and that made him hesitate. His stance came back up, however, when Harry got back on his feet, looking murderous.

"Rictuasempra!" Harry cast, sending Draco flying. Snape disapprovingly picked him up by the collar and pulled him back up.

"Serpensortia!"

The blood drained from my face. Draco has used this spell on me several times, usually for pranks.

A snake manifested from the spell, slithering towards Harry. Crap.

I pushed passed everyone, struggling to make my way to Harry.

"Don't move, Potter. I'll get rid of it for you." Snape said, walking briskly towards him.

"Allow me, Professor Snape!" Lockhart announced, and then proceeded to cast the wrong spell. I rolled my eyes in annoyance, and I saw Snape do the same.

I saw Harry approach the snake slowly as it started to move towards a Hufflepuff. By then, I was at the front of the stage. Shoving the Hufflepuff aside, I stepped right in front of the snake.

I had two options, wave it away like a normal, regular kid, or do something incredibly stupid and risky. Obviously, I went with the latter.

"Get away from him." I whispered, "Please."

The students looked at me in shock, disgust, even fear. Harry frowned, confused.

Snape got rid of the snake swiftly, and beckoned me to him, a look of utter surprise on his face.

"Miss Potter? You...?"

"Surprise?" I said awkwardly, throwing in jazz hands for good measure.

Snape realized the number of eyes on us, and nodded at me to follow. Holding my head up high and trying to look as confident and unbothered as possible, I went after him.

We arrived at Dumbledore's office and my hands were a sweaty mess. "Wait out here." Snape ordered.

I nodded and shuffled on my feet as I waited for Snape to open the door for me.

When he finally did, I took a shaky breath in and walked in, composing myself. All traces of my anxiety was now gone.

"Hello, Lexi." Dumbledore greeted warmly.

"Hello, Professor."

"Would you like a butterscotch?" He referred to a platter on the right. "These are quite good."

"Yes, thank you." I grabbed one, thankful for something to do instead of just sitting there awkwardly.

"I hear you can talk to snakes?" Dumbledore cut right to the chase. Thank god. I heard he was a fan of speaking in twists and turns, occasionally inserting a few riddles.