Chapter Seventeen- On the Town

Kat drags me out of the door dressed better than I have been in a very long time, we are both wearing some of my new dresses that I got a while ago but never wore. I have on a knee-length brown dress with my sweater and scarf on because I know it is windy and cold outside but Kat didn't care. She looks amazing in the new long sleeve dress I got but was worried I would never pull off... Kat definitely does though.

We jump on the train and headed to Fordham in the Bronx to go shopping. Kat claims she's been there a million times and it's the best place to go. After a long train ride, we finally arrive, and there are people everywhere which is definitely Kat's environment. Even though I am out of my comfort zone, every time that I leave it something good happens.

Before I know it we have already been in multiple stores just looking around, before I know it Kat is pulling me into a hair salon. She has changed her hair color since we got to New York but I haven't touched mine and it's so long it's annoying. Kat looks at me smirking and I know that she is planning to get me to cut my hair since I have been avoiding it for so long.

Kat gets us in for an appointment and starts explaining how she wants to go lighter, and I'm sat down next to her.

"What are you looking for today, honey?" An older Hispanic lady asks behind, she smiles sweetly as she takes my hair down from its bun.

I smile back in the mirror, "I really need a huge cut," She lets my hair fall down which I haven't let in a long time because of the hassle.

"How's here for a length?" She motions to a few inches below my shoulders.

"That would be perfect."

"Your friend also mentioned dying your hair color, is that something you want to do? I roll my eyes, of course, that is something Kat would tell them.

I shake my head, "No not today."

After a little bit I have finished up and my head feels about ten times lighter. I look over to see Kat getting her hair dyed still so I let her know I'm going to wander around for a little bit. I head back outside into the crowd looking around at all the different shops, I sigh wishing that I could enjoy this a little more. Max still not being home is weighing on me even if she's with Jack.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, I'm almost done, bring back some pizza!

I smile, and look around seeing that I have just started walking while I was thinking. I turn around and find a $1 dollar pizza place around the corner. Grabbing a pepperoni for Kat and a cheese for me I dodge the guy by the door looking me up and down, thanks to Kat's outfit. Finally I make it back to the hair salon to see Kat standing at the door waiting for me.

"What do you think?", Kat asks while reaching for the pizza

My smile gives my answer away, "I love it!" I move around to see her full head of bright red hair, it looks like it did in highschool just much MUCH brighter. It looks good on her though, makes her look more happy, and alive than she has in months.

"I knew you would!" Kat smiles and starts to shove the pizza into her mouth.

I smile, "You know that I don't want you to just go back to the person you were in highschool right?" We head out onto the street and start walking, "I love that you've changed and I think you're wayy more interesting now."

Kat laughs, "No I'm definitely not more interesting, I feel like sometimes I wish I could go back to those days.." She looks away seeming to be thinking, "I remember it being so carefree and happy, you know?" Kat fakes a smile at me at the end.