1 - First Impressions

The sun shined on another beautiful day in Japan. The flowers bloomed, birds chirped, and the people walked happily as the day seemed like any other day.

However, for one individual by the name of Light Yagami, me of course, the day was very important. I was riding on a bus that would lead me to the closest thing that I would get to freedom. The first proper time when I would get to make the decisions I wanted.

Staring out the window I could see the beauty of the world as lively as ever if it only was all true. Accompanying the outside was my reflection from the window. I began practicing my smile. Retaining my original appearance, I quickly got accustomed to the predicament I was putting myself into.

'Smile, smile. Perfect.'

Practicing the smiles I would put on with my teeth, I nailed the performance. I went back to my regular face and continued.

With a simple smile now on my face, I looked around the bus. Many other people with the same uniform I had on, which could only mean they were students of the same school as I.

Then there were people in business suits and formal wear. At a time like this, you would only wear such clothing if you were heading to work.

But despite the difference in our destinations, there were no distinctions between the activities most of the people did. Eyes on their screens and hands-on their phones', people bothered little to appreciate the surroundings outside.

'What a waste.'

Modern-day Japan. There were discernible differences between our worlds, the most notable one being technology and history. In my original world, Japan didn't have such an advancement in technology compared to the rest of the world but here, Japan has the advantage. There is an overall vibrant feel to this Japan that I now reside in. In regard to history, in my original world, Japan had miraculous economic growth spurge after its loss in World War Two, this Japan had never joined the Axis nor really impacted the World Wars in any big manner. In fact, it was a lot more prosperous than the other. But while the economy was at an all-time high, the government was weak. It needed change.

From the broken justice system that still reigned even in this world to the bad infrastructure planning that had led to a few dozen deaths from residents to workers, the instability was being hidden from the regular citizen. The politics are a complete mess, politicians regularly bickering with one another, supporters calling out the flaws of another party, and yet refusing to even acknowledge that the party they support is also causing damage, it all needs to be destroyed and built once more.

'Broken. No other word to describe it all, from an outsider's perspective, Japan seems like a beautiful place but what about the student debt? The harsh exams that can easily ruin a person's life, either dooming them to be an office worker or the superior. The criminals who can pay their way out of jail, the rich have it easy, the taxes that are purposefully lowered for them and the power they have over others is unbelievable.'

Looking to my right, my eyes focused on a book that a raven-haired girl was reading.

'Law and Order, how ironic.'

The girl was wearing the same uniform as I, and didn't seem to have the most pleasant expression that one could have especially if you were going to such a prestigious school. The school was ranked as one of the highest in the entire world, from high-ranking Japanese officials constantly mentioning it on the news, to students all around Asia wanting to have a chance to take the entrance exam. It was highly sought after, especially with the government's backing which pays for the regular cost of entry and even more. Not a single cent has to come out of your pocket.