36 | getting to know each other over coffee and french toast

"French toast." I finally answer when we reach the fourth floor. The elevator on this building is out of order. The stairs are a murky gray, the walls ready to fall apart just by tapping a finger on the surface. From the looks of it seems as the building survived an earthquake or something. Seriously the paint is cracked and there are parts of the wall crumbled on the floor and I am starting to get concerned with the way she's living. I only hope she's safe if not comfortable. I would hate the idea of a peeping Tom or some other creepy looking man lurking out in the hallways at night while she's in her own room studying or getting ready to leave for work.

Elena is rummaging through her gym bag for her keys and when she finally retrieves them she flashes me a smile "I was kind of hoping you'd say that."

"So, how old is this building?" I ask.

"Honestly, I don't know." She replies then taps her forefinger on the wall causing the paint to crack, particles of dust falling on the floor. "It was the only deal I could afford so I moved in." She adds while shoving the key in the key hole then tilts it and opens the door. She walks in first holding the door open for me and I step onto the wooden panel. Just by stepping inside her home it already feels like we're in a different building.

Creme colored walls surround us while oak floors are stretched out beneath our feet. The living room is surprisingly wide and there's a balcony door with slightly lifted curtains. An antique chandelier is hung in the middle of the room, the natural lighting illuminating diamond shapes on the walls. There are plants on the coffee table and the corner of the room. Fashion brochures are scattered all over the coffee table and some textbooks are laying around on the couch and the chairs. A flat screen is placed across the sitting area and there's a modern lamp right next to it. A Play Station is placed on a low shelf along with some games and two consoles. I smile to myself when I see that there's a nerdy side to her. Some clothes are carelessly left on the chairs and on top of the blanket on the sofa. The scent of old cardboard boxes and flowers lingers on the air. This feels more cozy than my own room.

"Welcome to mi casa." Elena chimes.

"Wow, your place is awesome

"Wow, your place is awesome." I say sincerely and Elena looks at me with a raised brow.

"Really? I mean it's nothing like your place." She says douptedly.

"I'm serious. It's really nice here."

Are you kidding me? My place isn't even my own. It's my dad's house and I hate living there. However her house is so warm and natural. It might not contain all the luxuries my dad's house can provide but being here feels tranquil and peaceful. Or it's simply being with her that does the trick.

"Anyway, just give me a second." She says. "I really want to change out of these clothes right now. Make yourself at home."

I pace inside her living room and I notice the kitchen further away. It's smaller and to my surprise more organized than the living room. All pots, kettles, mugs and cutlets are placed on different shelves baced on their size. A table is placed in the middle of the room and the fridge is massive. All the nessesary machines are here the only thing that's missing is a dishwasher. Not that she needs one since she's living alone.