xiv

A/N: I'm setting the Yule Ball on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas

Before I could even open my eyes, I was being pulled out of bed by Alissa and Harriet, who insisted that we begin to get ready for the ball immediately. They had planned breakfast in Hogsmeade - not to my complaint, the local village was particularly stunning at this time of year - and then a day of pampering and whats-not until it was a reasonable time to begin hair and makeup.

"Alfie's insistent on joining us for manicures." Alissa rolled her eyes as we began to head towards the Hogsmeade carriages.

I spared a chuckle, "I think Alfie would be there for the whole day if he could be."

Alissa smiled at the thought of her new boyfriend and Yule Ball escort, "And I would be here for it if we hadn't all agreed that we wouldn't see our dates until tonight."

"Luckily George is spending his day attempting to put together some prank for the Evening." Harriet sighed, George's antics were no surprised.

"I think Cedric's going to spend the entire day conditioning his hair." I laughed, though had no complaints when it came to how ultimately soft and beautiful his hair indeed was.

"The boy uses more than I do, and that's saying a lot," Alissa stated as we all rolled into fits of giggles.

I regretted not bringing a woolly hat as we stepped out of the carriage into Hogsmeade, which was sugar-coated-in snow from top to bottom. It was indeed a sight, and I would have spent the whole day in awe if I wasn't so cold.

We huddled inside the three broomsticks, able to find ourselves a table close to the fire to order breakfast. I caught Alissa staring over at a group of Ravenclaw girls from our year, who appeared to be whispering and giggling, presumably about her. There was longing on her face, a loss at how she was so close to them for so long, and it took one mistake, and they dropped her so quickly.

"Hey Ali, do you want a coffee or tea?" Harriet asked, sensing the same and distracting her.

She looked over, somewhat relieved and flustered, "Coffee, please."

Alissa had been doing better, her relationship with Alfie allowing her to flourish in the group as well as being able to relax with secrets and opinions. Her group had been toxic: a bitchy alliance between a select few Ravenclaws and Gryffindors who plaCed themselves on a pedestal at the school. It was no wonder she acted the way she did.

Harriet took her in the easiest, though; I suppose she was good at that. She had acquired herself the loner and the fallen queen bee. Together we were a prized trio and were probably what we all needed.

Though Alissa's relationship with Alfie was all, I could ever hope for. Alife was a genuine guy, and probably not someone the old Alissa would have usually dated. Yet their feelings were as real as they could be, and Alfie's good reputation had begun to allow Alissa to be accepted again by our peers.

"So Elise, it all ends tonight." Harriet winked, turning the conversation into something more lighthearted as we sat back down.

Cedric and I had decided to extend our revision break into after the Yule Ball following our slip-up in the prefect's bathroom, and Cedric had been dropping hints about what he had planned Ever since to wind me up purposely.

"He's been surprisingly alright, especially with all the free time he's had, even more than usual without our dates."

Harriet swirled the sugar into her tea, "George says he's nearly always on the quidditch pitch, they were throwing sludge bombs at him the other day."