25: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 25

Once I arrived in my room on Tuesday night I was so happy that I didn’t think I would be able to sleep, however, almost as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.

The next morning I woke up energized and happy, which let me tell you, is not a regular occurring thing for me. I had a bunch of time before school started so as I stepped into my shower, I took my time lathering my shampoo and conditioner into my hair while just feeling the warm water run down my body.

My morning routine went smoothly and without a hitch and before I knew it, I was walking down the stairs with a smile on my face while wearing one of my favourite outfits; a pair of tan skinny jeans and a black tank top with the word beautiful scrawled onto the front paired with a white jean jacket and my trustee pair of black converse.

I was in for a surprise once I entered the kitchen because I saw my uncle seated on a stool near the island reading the morning newspaper while my aunt was cooking what looked like pancakes and bacon on the stove.

“Morning Sophie, do you want something to eat?” my aunt, Mary, asked happily as if she was always home in the mornings to make me breakfast.

“Umm… good morning.” I replied, however it sounded more like a question rather than a greeting. “What are you guys doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at work right now?”

My uncle Dennis put his paper down slightly and looked at me with a smile. “We have the day off today so we thought we’d cook you breakfast for once and get a chance to talk to you before you left for school.” he answered, pulling out the stool beside him for me.

I smiled at him and walked over to take sit on the stool. “So, you’ll make me blueberry pancakes once you’re done with his?” I asked Mary with a hopeful voice.

She turned her head for a second as she waited for the pancakes to cook and nodded. “Sure sweetie, just wait a couple minutes and they should be done, but take some bacon while you’re waiting.” she said, placing a plate of bacon in front of both me and my uncle.

I smiled at her before she turned her attention back to the stove. I grabbed a strip of bacon and started munching on it, letting the delicious fatty meat stay in my mouth a bit before swallowing.

I don’t know if it was the fact that I was completely indulged in my bacon or the fact that my aunt and uncle were actually home this morning for once but I completely forgot about the fact that Piper came over every day for breakfast until I heard the front door open.

“Is that bacon I smell?” she asked, yelling from all the way in the entryway and even though I heard the door close, her voice just continued on. “You know, if you’re trying to get Jett’s attention by smelling like bacon that’s not exactly the way to go about it.” she finished.