[ CHAPTER FORTY-TWO ]

1820, New Orleans

The dull weather was almost as Sombre as the citizens of New Orleans as they marched through the streets, adorned in black fabrics that contrasted sharply with white waxy faces and puffed red eyes

A week had passed since she had awoken from her nightmare, the darkened comatose state that had left her cold and lonely.

A week since Niklaus had wrenched the dagger from her chest and begged for her forgiveness.

A week since she had told him he could stick his apology up his backside.

He'd been awfully putrid ever since, but Astrid had somehow managed to avoid him, though she hadn't been able to escape the never-ending gifts that were being delivered daily to her room.

Fresh bouquets of roses; her favourite flowers since she had come across them in France, beguiling jewels that shimmered beautifully in the sunlight and lavish gowns made of the finest silks and lace.

But Niklaus truly was a fool if he thought he could buy her forgiveness through gifts. Her morals were deeper than that.

He clearly hadn't got the picture, it seemed whenever she ordered the servant to return the gifts to Nik, she'd return to her chambers to find two presents in its place, both grander than the previous.

According to Elijah, Niklaus was in a state, he had been on a rather large blood binge and murdered many of the citizens. Though he was on the downlow around Astrid, staying in his chambers so she wouldn't catch sight of his bloodshot, tired eyes.

Niklaus couldn't fool her, he missed her, yearned for her, as she did for him.

But she wouldn't follow her heart, she needed to listen to her head; logic over love.

Two large silver stallions decorated with feathers and silver were pulled along a deep mahogany coffin before them, their steel hoofs clattering against the stone path as Rebekah watched the coffin with wide eyes.

Astrid had noticed how her grip seemed to tighten with each step as they walked arm in arm.

The blonde she adored was evidently struggling to hold back the grief that threatened to overwhelm her, tears flowing steadily down her pale cheeks as she sniffled.

Seeing Rebekah in such a fragile state infuriated Astrid, even more so when it was her husband who had caused it.

On Rebekah's other side, Elijah casted his sister a concerned glance, frowning before his attention darted to the side.

Astrid felt awfully out of place attending Emil's rather grand funeral, having not known Emil, but had decided to attend to support Rebekah.

The blonde had pleaded for Astrid to come with her, and she hadn't needed to ask twice. One look in her teary, big blue eyes and Astrid had reluctantly agreed.