38. Back At Home

Unedited. Enjoy anyways 😘

A Week Later.
Manhattan|NY

Narrator's POV

"Everything is all cleaned up and ready for you." Annette informed Quenton as they prepared to enter his apartment. He hasn't been back since he passed out and was rushed to the hospital. When his parents found out he would be home before Christmas, they took it upon themselves to clean up for his return. "I got it." Quenton snatched away from Quincy when he tried to help him. He now walked with a cane to support his limp, making it a bit difficult to get around. Not only was his limp permanent but so were the scars on his face. Every time he looked in the mirror he would be reminded of the beating Kofi Morgan put to him.

"Do you need anything?" Annette asked as soon as Quenton sat on the couch. Quincy turned on the lights and grabbed a pillow for him to rest his foot on. "I don't need help, really. I would appreciate it if you guys just left." Quenton spoke in a low tone. "Listen son, I know you don't want us here but we are family. We're trying to be here for you, despite our differences." Quincy genuinely spoke.

Quenton wasn't the only one to blame here.

Both Quincy and Annette played a huge part in how things turned out. Although it was too late to change the past, they had hoped to improve the relationship between them and their son. "Please just let us be here for you, baby." Annette begged, taking a seat next to Quenton. Her hand ran through his hair as he closed his eyes, letting out a deep sigh.

He was tired.

Tired of them begging to be the parents they should have been a long time ago. Tired of hearing excuse after excuse from the both of them. It was nothing they could say to make him forgive them for their shortcomings. "I can make you some dinner?" Annette offered as Quenton shook his head. "I'm not hungry." He declined. "Save it for later then." Quincy suggested. "Where's Dre?" Hearing him ask for his brother put a smile on Annette's face. "Do you want me to call him?" Quincy asked. " Just have him come and see me when he can." He replied.

Andre didn't visit him as often as their parents because it was a lot to take in. He hated Quenton for what he had done and wanted no parts to do with him. He could never forgive him for hurting his friend, brother or not. "You have to take your meds." Annette remembered as she stood. He was now on various medications due to his condition and had to take them every day. "Annette, just let him rest. He can take them after he eats...he's not up for it right now." Quincy tried to steer her attention elsewhere.

Like himself, his wife also felt guilty for how things were playing out. The attention Quenton craved as a child was now being given to him all at once. Every wince, cough and hiss Annette made sure to be at his rescue. "Okay. I-I'll just get ready to prepare dinner." She stuttered as she stood to go to the kitchen. Quenton rejected every offer of help just to make her feel even worse. He had no intentions on giving either of them the satisfaction of seeing him in need.

He would rather struggle than to receive the pity from those he called parents. "Did you get in touch with her?" Quincy sighed at Quenton's question. While in rehab, he had promised him that he would contact Sarai' for him. "It's been extremely difficult to even attempt to reach her, Quenton. I'm sure she hates us just as much for protecting you. We can't force ourselves on her." His head hung in shame. He could only imagine how Sarai' felt about him. He wasn't sure that he could face her.

"I need to see her." Quenton sighed. Sarai' was all he thought about while he was away. He missed her. All he wanted was to hear her voice and see her face. He wanted her to be here for him and no one else. He spent each day trying to figure out ways to re-enter into her life and make her happy. Playing it safe was the best thing to do but he was becoming impatient.