33;

I pulled two bowls from the cabinet and filled them with soup, took two spoons from a drawer, and sat down across from Taehyung at your kitchen table.

"Is it okay?" Taehyung asked, watching as I took a sip of the soup. It tasted burned, but I nodded anyway.

"It's fantastic." I smiled, taking a large bite to prove my point. Taehyung couldn't eat or taste, there was no reason for him to know that the food he tried so hard to make wasn't great. And anyway, it wasn't bad, just a little overdone.

I didn't see Taehyung for several minutes after that.

When I was done eating, I started on the dishes. Cleaning the mess Taehyung made was no easy task, but he worked on the side I wasn't facing and between the two of us, it eventually got done.

"Hey, Taehyung." I said, turning around only to find that he was standing behind me. I caught the glass he had been about to put away before it hit the floor, setting it safely on the counter.

"Yeah?" He responded, still standing quite close to me. I didn't mind, and he didn't appear to either.

"Do you believe in soulmates?" The words slipped out before I really thought about them.

Taehyung tilted his head to the side. "No." He said after a second. "But for the record, I don't believe in ghosts either."

I rolled my eyes. "How can you not believe in ghosts if you are one?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know, I guess I don't feel dead." Taehyung shrugged. "So I don't feel like a ghost, and therefore, don't believe in them."

I shook my head. "You're ridiculous."

"Also cute and fluffy." Taehyung winked, and I would have hit his shoulder if my hand wouldn't simply pass through it, so I settled for giving him a look. "I wish I met you before I died." Taehyung said quietly.

"I wish you had, too." I let out a small laugh that had no humour in it.

For some reason, this felt like goodbye. He was standing so close now that I could have sworn I could feel his body heat if I didn't know for a fact that he didn't have any.

Taehyung was so, so faint now. "Maybe we'll meet in another life." Taehyung gave me a sad smile.

"Promise?"

"I swear it. I'll find you, and I won't be dead next time."

I nodded, but wasn't sure that I completely believed him. But then again, if ghosts and soulmates were real, who was to say that reincarnation wasn't too?

"You know, it would have been nice to kiss you, just once." I blurted. It wasn't really something I had planned to say, but for whatever reason, I had a hard time keeping things from Taehyung.

"Only once?" Taehyung teased.

But after a second, he leaned down as though to kiss me. I closed my eyes as though by instinct, and for just a fraction of a second, I felt his lips on mine.

They weren't cold, I didn't go through them, he was there, solid and very real. I thought I saw a light from behind my eyelids, and then he was gone.

Completely.

I could feel it somewhere deep down, something told me that he wasn't just invisible, that he wasn't coming back this time.

"Goodbye, Taehyung." I said to the empty room, knowing I would get no response. 

four more chapters to go!