3 || unexpected events

Once you got home, you trudged over to the dining room, slinging your backpack onto the back of a chair. Sitting down, you felt a weight lift off of your shoulders, literally and figuratively. The empty house was silent, and your previous words to Stanley echoed annoyingly in your mind.

"Beverly's dad wants her home as soon as possible, and, uh, my parents are probably worried about me too."

In reality, your parents probably didn't care about you at all. Your father worked at one of the local stores, but you had no idea which one, seeing how he was gone all the time, and your mother worked at the local pharmacy with Greta's father. Whenever you went there with Beverly and attempted to talk to her while she was working, she would either harshly dismiss you or act like she didn't know you at all.

When your parents got home, which was usually sometime around midnight, they would walk right past you as if you weren't even there, even if you was patiently waiting in the living room to greet them with two warm cups of coffee and a bright smile. You felt invisible.

In all honesty, being anywhere else, even school, would be better than being at home. Her house didn't even feel like a home. It was empty and silent, devoid of any life and devoid of any love.

You glanced up at the clock on the wall, positioned directly above an old family photo that was taken when you were five years old. There was still an hour until you were scheduled to meet up with Beverly, and you had absolutely nothing to do. To pass time, you grabbed a couple of warm blankets from the linen closet and decided to take a quick nap on the couch. Soon enough, you had drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

—————

In hindsight, taking a nap may not have been the best idea.

You were already ten minutes late when you woke up, and as you bolted out the door, you couldn't help but mentally face palm yourself for oversleeping. When you arrived at the pharmacy, you pushed the door open and rushed over to the section where she and Beverly needed to get your things from.

"Sorry I'm late," you apologized, out of breath. "I took a nap and lost track of time."

"You're good. I knew you wouldn't ditch me, so I just figured that you'd be late," Beverly said, looking you up and down. "But— did you run all the way here?"

"That's— that's not important. Did you grab the, you know, stuff for us?"

"Yep," she waved the two boxes of tampons up in the air. "Let's go."

You walked out of the aisle and into the next, only to see Greta, who fortunately didn't spot you. Sharing a look, the two of you rushed over to the next aisle, but that one wasn't clear either. Beverly quickly hid the tampon boxes behind her back as, one by one, Bill, Eddie, and Stanley realized that you were there.

"Y-y-you okay?" Bill asked, concerned.

You glanced at Beverly out of the corner of your eyes and had to refrain from laughing at the frozen look on her face, resembling a deer caught in headlights.

"I'm fine. What's wrong with you?" she questioned, diverting the attention away from herself and onto them.

Stanley made eye contact with you and looked like he wanted to tell you something, but stopped himself before he did. Averting his eyes away from you and over to Beverly, he spoke nervously.

"None of your business."

"There's a kid outside, looks like someone killed him," Eddie piped up.

"We need some s-s-supplies but we don't have enough money," Bill explained.

There was a moment of silence as you and Beverly thought it over, sharing an unspoken conversation between each other, then nodding in agreement.

Together, the five of you (well, really just you and Beverly) devised a plan to have Beverly distract Mr. Keene while you helped the boys sneak out. You had complete faith in Beverly's distraction, knowing from past experience that she was especially good at things like this, but the boys' stealthiness on the other hand, not so much. They already seemed anxious enough, and it didn't help that Eddie kept on muttering strings of curses under his breath, panicking about jail, thievery, and permanent records until Stanley told him to shut up.

The four of you waited until Beverly turned around, letting you know that the coast was clear, and you rushed over to the door to open it. However, they were so clumsy and uncollected that they tripped over their own feet, bumped into the products, and dropped a few of their supplies.

When they made it out the door, you quietly groaned and picked up what was on the floor, putting them (more or less) in their original places before exiting the pharmacy to wait outside, satisfied with what she and Beverly had done to help the boys.