Chapter 17: I Trust You

DAVIS' WARNING has kept me occupied for the rest of the day. I was thinking about what he said. It's true that I have put a target behind my back by living here, by running away from home, by being chosen by Emerich Sardon as his concubine -- I might as well have been in danger just by existing. It doesn't make any sense. This place is the perfect place for me to seek protection just as what Exene said. Why would Davis say I should leave this place? 

I eyed him across the table. Nasa hapag kainan kami ngayon. Our foods are served on the table. The Duke at the head of the table, me on his left, Davis Black and the twins seated on his right. We are waiting for the Princess to come down. 

Looking at the four men, mukhang naiinip na sila kakahintay sa bisita namin. I even heared Luca muttering something like starving to death which Levi shushed immediately. Bumalik ang tingin ko kay Luca. He was playing with his knife, doing his best to avoid my gaze. Does he have a problem with me? Does he hate me or something? 

My gaze landed on Exene who is apparently looking at me too. I blinked. 

"What is it?" Tanong ko sa kanya. 

He shrugged. "Black has been silent the whole afternoon and you've been looking at him for more than 2 minutes. What is the matter between the two of you?" 

I heard one of the twins whistling. 

"I smell jealousy." Levi whispered but we heard it anyway. 

Just before I could open my mouth, soft steps echoed across the hall. Napatingin kami kung saan pumasok ang bisita. 

"I am sorry to have kept you waiting." Her eyes landed on me and offered me a smile. 

Exene stood up to greet the Princess. She walked closer to us and offered her hand for Exene to kiss. I resisted the urge to scoff. I chose to look at the twins but they were grinning maliciously which is no help at all. So I gazed at Black who seem to have no care in his surroundings. 

"You are seating on my seat." I heard her say dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya. The room went silent. Even the twins were not making a sound or a movement. I looked at Exene. He was rubbing his temple with his eyes closed. 

"Canary--" Exene started but I stood up dahilan para mapatingin silang lahat sa akin. 

"Of course. My apologies." I said bago lumipat sa katabing silya. 

The rest of dinner was silent. I didn't attempt to look at Exene or the rest of the people inside the dining. I was too appalled by what happened earlier and too disturbed by Black's warning. Should I confront him and ask him to tell me what's he supposed to mean by that? 

"Right, Lily?" I heard Canary said dahilan para mabalik ako sa katotohanan. I spaced out too much.

"Sorry. What was that?" 

"I said you and Davis would make a great couple. I saw you two together earlier at the greenhouse." 

I resisted the urge to stab the fork to her perfect face. 

"I don't know. My eyes are set on Exene. What are you trying to imply?" 

I saw Exene choke on his wine and the twins laughing secretly. 

The Princess didn't utter a word but instead stared at me for a long time as if her stare could kill me. I didn't back down and stared back at her until we heard the chair groaned and Black, wiping his mouth with the napkin. 

"If you'll excuse me, I have something better to do than to be a piece of someone's matchmaking game." He gave the Princess a dead stare and I could have sworn the Princess froze on her seat. So even the Princess is scared of Black too, huh? 

Ngunit bago pa man makalabas si Davis, Exene called him. 

"Report to my office later, Black." 

"I was planning to." Sagot ng huli bago lumabas. 

And the dinner went on silently. 

* * * 

It was half past midnight when I noticed Exene lurking on the door of my clinic. 

"Mind if I come in?" 

He didn't wait for my response and he slid on the sofa inside the room. 

"You're still up. Tough day, huh?" I started. 

"I could say the same thing to you." 

Silence. 

He's been dealing with his duties more intensely these days since when we were ambushed in the woods and the recent attacks in the village. He must have come out of his office to at least free his mind to whatever that reminds him of those responsibilities. 

I stood up and opened the cupboard kung saan ko itinago ang mga tsaang ginawa ko. I brewed him some. Nang ilapag ko ang tsaa sa mesa, he opened his eyes. 

"Stress reliever." I said and sipped on my cup. 

"I am not stressed." His brows furrowed.

"Yeah, sure." 

I only heard him chuckle bago niya kinuha ang tasa at ininom ang tsaa. 

"Ah. That's refreshing. You should make a tea business." 

"I'm more adept in making medicines than teas."

"This is basically a medicine, though." 

"Touche." I took a side ward glance at him. "What's bothering you?" I decided to ask. 

He looked like he was pulled out from a deep thought. The serious face was immediately replaced with his smug one. 

"My, my. Tell me why are you suddenly interested?"

"Forget that I asked, then." I was about to stand up when he grab hold of my wrist. 

"Father is coming tomorrow." 

Naalala ko ang sinabi niya noong mag nakaraan araw. That we'll be going official once his father comes home. I have been so occupied with other things that I didn't think about it enough. Napatakip ako sa aking bibig. 

"Then we're getting married?" 

To my surprise, he shook his head slowly. "No, not yet. My Father has his eyes to the Princess to become my wife. I am going to introduce you to him tomorrow. I'm sure he'll like you." 

"Hindi sa kampante ako, but what if he really will like me only to find out this is all a lie? Lying to the Queen is one thing, lying to the King is another! You really want me to get killed, don't you? So that was Davis' warning all about." 

Kumunot ang noo niya. "Davis' warning?" 

"That's not important. What's important is, paano kung malaman ng ama mo na hindi totoo lahat ng ito? I can't imagine--" 

"Do you trust me, Liliana?" His grip on my wrist got tighter. 

Do I trust him? I have been trusting him since the day I met him. Since the day he said he will protect me against Emerich Sardon. Can I trust him now? And besides, I already gave him my word that I will help him. 

I heaved a deep breath. "I do. I trust you." 

"Good. We'll figure something out later." He stood up and straightened his coat. 

"I'll send your dress tomorrow morning. Look your best." He stalked towards the door. 

I narrowed my eyes. "You don't need to tell me that. I'm facing the King tomorrow, of course I should look my best." 

He faced me and a smirk plastered on his face. "Of course. And you are going to win my Father's approval to marry me. Good luck, wife." 

Before I could even retort he exited the room leaving me open mouthed. 

Such arrogance. 

* * *