Chapter 3 - Adjusting

Sofia

“I really think you should drop this class.”

I turn to look at Adrian, and he’s still carrying the same troubled expression that has plagued my mind since I arrived back to Madrid.

“I know it’s the last thing you want to hear right now, but I think it’ll be for the best. Maybe there’s another class you can take,” he continues.

I sigh a bit dramatically. After his bodyguard display from yesterday, I still don’t know what to think about the whole situation. Neither of them has given me any answers yet. Nico certainly doesn’t want to talk to me as he’s now acting like he’s comatose save for the one text he sent me saying sorry, and Adrian keeps telling me it’s not his story to tell. Oddly, I now feel like I can trust Adrian more than Nico, when it should be the other way around.

“Yeah, I’ll think about it,” I respond.

“Okay. See you after class,” he says. He waits until I’m actually seated in my classroom to leave and I shake my head. If there’s one thing for certain, I will never really understand that boy.

“Miss Durant,” the professor calls me.

I go up to his desk and he’s looking at me with a puzzled expression. “I thought you dropped my class.”

“Um, no. Well, I was thinking about it, but haven’t decided yet,” I explain.

“Well, you’re no longer showing up on my roster, so it would appear so.” He proceeds to show me a printout and I don’t see my name on the list. “I just got an updated list this morning so it’s current. I suggest you go check with the registrar’s office as this class is now full.”

I am literally speechless. “Okay, thank you for bringing this to my attention,” I tell him.

I grab my bag and head over to the admin office. I can’t believe Adrian would do this. I mean, why would he ask me about it not even five minutes ago if he apparently has already decided for me?

When I get to the office, I’m glad to see that at least there isn’t a crazy line of people and I’m passed to see someone pretty quickly. I explain the situation, and in effect, I have been dropped out of the class. The woman tells me there is another class I can take at a different hour, but it involves moving my entire schedule around.

I accept the changes as I’m already a semester behind and I can’t afford to miss out on any more credits. I had initially thought about taking an extra course this semester to try to catch up, but given my academic history, I thought it would be best not to push it. One step at a time.

As I make my way to my new classroom, which now I’ll be late for, I realize I am beyond pissed about this. Not only is Adrian making decisions for me behind my back, but I’m in this whole mess to start with because of him and Nico and whatever issue they have going on with that other idiot Ruiz.

Why can’t my life be normal for once? All I want is to go to class and get good grades. That is my only goal. Instead, I have to deal with the aftermath of other people’s problems and stress about things that have nothing to do with actual classes.

I’m so infuriated that I send Adrian a text telling him I don’t need his ushering services any longer and turn off my phone soon after. I don’t even want to hear his response. I decide to ignore him for the rest of the day, and unlike yesterday, I’m able to forget about all the unnecessary drama and can actually concentrate in class.

I’m about to head out to the car to wait for the guys there until they finish soccer practice, but I remember Adrian’s paranoia about parking lots and the last thing I want is to get yelled at again. I decide to go to the bleachers around the soccer field instead. He can’t complain about anything if I’m in plain sight.