Chapter Thirty

Songs for this chapter:
• December - Ariana Grande
Close - Nick Jonas & Tove Lo

Chapter Thirty:

Lexi's POV

I follow the trail of rose petals all the way up the stairs, collecting them as I go. I have no clue where the path may be taking me, but I follow it nonetheless.

Once I step off of the staircase, I expect the trail to head in the direction of Bryce's bedroom. That doesn't seem to be the case, though, as the petals head right past Bryce's room and farther down the hallway.

I've never really been in this part of the Bradshaw house and so I have no further guesses as of to where I'm currently being led. Plucking another rose petal up off the floor, I watch as the trail leads around a corner.

Once I turn the corner, I find a door open to reveal a flight of stairs heading upwards, a rose petal right on the bottom step.

The attic.

Following the staircase upwards and still collecting the petals as I go, I find myself in a dimly lit attic, the walls painted a slate grey and the hardwood floors a rich chocolate brown. This space seems to be used as a living area as there are a few couches lining the walls, a television across from the largest sectional.

I suppose that I always knew that the Bradshaws have an attic, but I didn't think it would be anything special considering I had never been up here.

Then again, I hadn't even been in Bryce's bedroom until ten months ago.

Despite this, the attic isn't any less spectacular than the rest of the home. Everything about the simple yet sleek decor seems to scream 'wealth', and I'm unable to stop myself from running my fingertips down the silky blanket draped over one arm of a sofa.

You're up here for a reason, Lexi. Don't get distracted by all of these ridiculous luxuries.

Taking a deep breath in to clear my head, I follow the rose petals down the hallway. The only light in the initial living room was provided by one small lamp and the moonlight streaming in through the windows and so it becomes an increasingly difficult task to know where I should be headed.

Until I see the door to one room halfway open.

The soft hum of sensual music meets my ears and I pick up the pace of my footsteps as I rush into the awaiting room.

It's a bedroom.

All of the lights are off but the various candles scattered about bathe the room in a warm glow.

The scent of cinnamon and vanilla envelopes me and makes me feel as if I'm coming home.

Bryce is laying on the bed, sprawled out on his back as he drums his fingertips atop his thigh. He has a look of serenity on his face as he stares blankly up at the ceiling, seemingly lost in his own thoughts.

I drop the rose petals in my fists into a pile by the doorway, taking a few quiet steps into the bedroom.

The bed is huge with a soft grey duvet cover and plenty of pillows, the room not too small but still extremely cozy. There's a bottle of what appears to be champagne on the bedside table at the side of the bed where Bryce is laying, two champagne flutes beside it.

At first I think that the soft music playing may have drowned out the sound of my footsteps, but I clearly assumed wrong as Bryce suddenly sits up slightly in bed, propping himself up with his elbows. He has a knowing smile on his face when he drawls, "Took you long enough, baby."