66. Allies

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

When the world around me turned from the snowy landscape into something of a luscious jungle, I had to blink a few times to understand what I was seeing. And then I had to blink a few times more.

"Uhmm...?" I muttered, looking around with wide eyes. It was a jungle! We were in a jungle!

I could feel Jaden's side against my leg and when I looked down, the fur on his back was standing up.

"This is her home," Selene said with a respectful tone, speaking quietly. "Come – I'll take you to her."

"To who?" I managed to cough up as we started to follow her through the thick vegetation.

"Like I'd spoil the surprise," Selene chuckled.

"All right then," I muttered, looking at Jaden again. He was not having happy or content feelings.

"Oliver... I..." Kevin... my dad spoke, looking troubled. "I really am sorry for dying."

"Well, that's technically not your fault," I said, trying to get my head straight. This was my father. My dead father. What was I supposed to think? Besides, suddenly having him walking right next to me was awkward as hell.

"Only technically?" he chuckled, but there was sorrow in his eyes.

"Your brother killed you, right?" I spoke quietly.

"Yes, but let's not call him my brother," he said grimly. "They were not my family."

"But he killed you?" I continued.

"Yes," my father nodded. "I can't stop thinking that if I'd been more careful, I would still be alive."

"There's no reason to burden yourself with what-ifs," Selene spoke with a sympathetic voice. "You know what might happen if you walk down that path."

Dad nodded and let out a deep sigh, but I was curious.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"We have nothing but time in this place," Selene began. "I amuse myself by meddling with mate bonds – it helps me keep my head together in the everlasting afterlife – but not everyone has abilities to keep them occupied. A simple thought like, what if I had done this instead, starts eating you up."

"And before you know it, it's the only thing you can think of, and you have to get out of the Spirit Realm," Dad continued quietly.

"That is how wraiths are born. Shadows, as your kind named them," Selene ended.

I nodded slowly. Then, I hesitated because there was something else I wanted to ask, but wasn't sure if I had the guts for it. But then I figured it would haunt me for the rest of my life I didn't ask...