Chapter 30: A Familiar Stranger

Dedicated Chapter Song: Dead - My Chemical Romance

Have you heard the news that you're dead?
No one ever had much nice to say
I think they never liked you anyway
Oh take me from the hospital bed
Wouldn't it be grand ain't it exactly what you planned
And wouldn't it be great if we were dead
(????)

Have you heard the news that you're dead?No one ever had much nice to sayI think they never liked you anywayOh take me from the hospital bedWouldn't it be grand ain't it exactly what you plannedAnd wouldn't it be great if we were dead(????)

Oh, well.

Guess I died, huh?

Heh...I had a good run, though. The last two months were...different. Not bad...not all that great...but better than I've had it in a very long time.

I regret a lot of things, though. So...so many things. Maybe I should have given Bakugo another chance...or maybe I should have let him down softer. He had feelings too. And Shõto...god...is he okay?

Heh...even if he isn't...I can still apologize...right? That's all I've ever been good for...apologizing...

But there's still something I never got to tell him...I guess none of that even matters anymore. I can feel my heart shutting down already, my veins growing cold with ice.

...What...was I even worried about? Everything is going to be fine...

But...I'm so scared. I'm not ready to die yet. I had so much to live for! I know that no one would miss me...but even still...I'm so frightened. Everything feels so cold...

"Hey," a distorted voice calls. It's all muffled in my ears. I'm supposed to be dead, right? So...who am I hearing? "Hey, you! Hey- wait, she's responding!"

"...nnn...gh...nnn..." I moan. 

"Hiro!" Shoto leans over me, placing his right hand on my head, chilling it. "You're okay. You're not hurt..."

"Hey, girl," that distorted voice becomes a bit clearer. Through watery eyes I see a boy, a little older than Todoroki, peering down at me. "Should I call an ambulance?" He looks at Todoroki, who seems upset at the question.

"You mean you haven't already?!"

"I don't...really like authorities all that much," mutters the older boy.

I finally manage to sit up and rub my eyes to where I can see the boy's face clearly.  He was an average and handsome boy in his early twenties, at least. His eyes were a shimmering gold and his black hair somewhat messy, with with electric blue tips in a dip-dyed fashion. He wore some kind of beanie cap from some American band, a torn up t-shirt, leather jacket, and leather skinny pants. Not to mention he had a snakebite and an eyebrow piercing. He looked like the walking definition of "2005 emo kid who spent their daily life on Myspace rawring at everyone".