06. Black Coffee

0 6 .

black coffee

THE NEXT MORNING, I woke up with a stale taste in my mouth and a killer headache.

My eyes were swollen and bloodshot from my lack of sleep. My dark circles stained the skin beneath my eyes, darker than ever. I let out a groan at the realisation of a massive headache drilling in the side of my head.

Could a day start off any worse?

I trudged through my usual morning routine of brushing my teeth, combing my hair and washing my face before applying a dab of concealer to cover my dark under eyes bruised with fatigue, praying they would become less noticeable after my coffee. I pulled on black jeans and a random shirt from my bedroom floor before walking out of my room, grabbing my school bag on the way.

I slipped into the kitchen, grabbing an oval shaped pill and popping it into my mouth, washing it down with a glass of water.

My mother lied on the couch, her uniform from her night shift at the diner was still on as she had another shift in just half an hour. Her dark curls spilled over the sofa cushions.

"See you, Mom," I muttered, pressing a peck to her cheek on my way out.

She sent me a half-hearted smile, her tired eyes lighting up at the sight of me.

"Have a good day, baby," she whispered, her voice hoarse. I watched as she pressed her hands to her temple, her fingers rubbing gentle circles, and released a strained sigh.

"Mom," I uttered, pausing beside her. "Just stay home and rest. You look so tired."

She shook her head, her eyes squeezing shut. "No. No, I'm fine. Brina needs some new textbooks and –"

"And she'll pay for them just fine on her own," I paused, watching my mother lounging on the couch, purple bags lining beneath her eyes. "I can pick up some shifts at –"

Her eyes snapped open. "No. You focus on school. I'm an adult woman. I've been doing this since your father died, I'll be completely fine. Now go on. You'll be late for school."

I pursed my lips, my mother's gaze unwavering as she stared me in the eye. I knew that look. It was the look she'd given Sabrina when she said she'd attend community college. The same look she'd given me when I'd tried to give her my coffee money for rent.

She was stubborn and I knew she wasn't going to budge.

So, I relented with a sigh.

Her expression immediately softened, and a small smile graced her chapped lips. She reached an arm out and I stepped forward into a small embrace. Her lips pressed against my hairline.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you more."

"Now go," she whacked my butt playfully and I sprung forward with a laugh. "Get to school, young lady. Or better yet, don't go. Have some fun, Aspen, while you're still young."

She gestured to herself, with a shake of her head and I laughed.

"I have fun at school," I muttered in a half-truth. Riley and William always provided a good laugh. I tried not to think about Isaac at her suggestion, or the skip in my heart when I thought about seeing him today. I cleared my throat. "Besides, you're still young too."

She pulled a face at me and I chuckled before bidding her goodbye and waltzing out the door, clicking it shut behind me.

I shuffled out of the house and down the road towards Alum Creek Public. I was lucky to live close enough to the school to walk, but not close enough to enjoy it.