Something New

Working for Dr. Polendina's expedition crew was always something fun and exciting for everyone. Polendina was a noble man, looking for brand new discoveries and creatures along the depths of the ocean floor. It was a hobby you liked to share in especially with your uncle, Dr. Arthur Watts. Arthur and Polendina were close friends in college and were as close as brothers as friends could be. That's also how you met Polendina's daughter, Penny.

You and Penny were a similar story to her father and your uncle. You both grew up together and attend college together. From their, your love or organic sciences took off. Penny followed in her father's footsteps and went after marine biology for her major while you were more interested in geology and environmental science. So, both you of you got skills needed for Dr. Polendina's expeditions of the deep blue sea.

You both were also pushing towards your PhDs as well so any amount of research background would help you both tenfold. That's also where you both landed your first technical hiccup...well, your first hiccup and maybe Penny's. But it was mostly you. You had a massive crush on the girl. She was cute, funny, smart as all hell. Not to mention, you both knew each other so well. So, it kinda came naturally.

But that's besides the point. The point is, you were on a boat roughly 50 miles off shore and doing research to discover new life. You were at your station going over rock formations recently discovered by sonar and working to see the make up of said rocks. Next thing you knew, the door opened and a chair slid right next to yours and Penny was sitting on it with food.

Penny: Hello!

(Y/N): Hey, Penny. What's going on?

Penny: I have brought food for you. The main lab was able to get us healthier items to eat. Tastier too.

Penny hiccuped after the sentence. You never understood why, it was just a weird quirk of her's. You looked away from your samples and turned to the girl. She had burgers from a fast food joint not too far from where the main lab was stationed.

(Y/N): You do know what fast food is right?

Penny: Well...it is tastier than what we have here, is it not?

(Y/N): Unfortunately, you do have a point.

You grabbed a burger and Penny took the other one. You both looked at one another then to the food.

Penny: We probably shouldn't eat in here.

(Y/N): Probably not.

Penny laughed a bit to herself as you both walked from the lab to the upper deck to eat. The ship was the size of a small ocean linear so you guys had plenty of equipment and storage around the ship to sometimes not even see it on the rare days. You two crashed on the upper deck and began to chow down. You were hungrier than most days as evident when you took an entire box of fires for yourself and gulped them down.

Penny: Hungry?

(Y/N): You know...it's weird to me. I never thought that as a grad student, I would be on a ship eating burgers for research.

Penny giggled a bit and continued to eat her food.

Penny: So? How was your work been going?

(Y/N): So far, the rock sample are really nothing much. It's clearly an igneous rock but other than that, not much. But it is still amazing. There could be an entire new undersea volcano under us which means there could be a brand new island here soon! Think of the plants that begin growing here. A whole new species even and-I'm getting ahead of myself. What about you?

Penny: The data retrieved from Dr. Merlot and my father have revealed something new. Some sort of pod, almost like an egg. We've decided not to disturb it until we know exactly what it is down there.