Dating Mr. Mogul: Excerpt

Prologue

George Peterson

The morning was dreary every time I woke up, but it will soon change as that light knock on the door came. I twisted in my bed and waited for her to enter.

"Hi, Dad, good morning. How was your sleep?" she greeted with a smile.

"I have another good sleep, thank you. How about you?" I inquired back in greeting.

"Fine, as always. Breakfast is on the table. I will be going to work in a few minutes."

"Got it. I'm getting up now."

She chuckled lightly as I groaned like the old man I am while trying to roll myself out of bed. She didn't wait for me to change and exited the room. I slowly headed towards the cabinet, grabbing a fresh shirt to change. I debated on taking a shower before breakfast. To share a meal with my daughter, I willingly changed my morning schedule.

When I arrived in the dining room, she was already at the table eating her meal. I smiled secretly at her appetite. Sometimes, I wonder how I was able to raise her without my wife, Amelia. She would have been proud to see the woman our daughter had grown into. And I couldn't be prouder of the fact that she was brave enough to move forward with her own strength. It worried me how she pushed people out of her life after what happened three years ago, though. Why didn't I saw the things he was doing to my daughter? I was partially at fault for not protecting her.

"Hey, Dad. Seat and eat. Please don't forget to take your medicine today," she stated, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I smiled at my daughter's commanding tone. She got it from me. "I won't," I replied after taking a seat beside her.

She was done with her meal before I was halfway through mine. Once she was done, she got up and carried her plate to the sink, quickly washing it. After that, she walked back to me and kissed my forehead before saying goodbye. Her eyes lingered on my face for a moment. I watched the gleam in her eyes shining brighter and brighter each day. My heart swelled seeing her happy again and finding someone special.

William Maxwell wasn't the first choice if I were to pick a man for my daughter. He was rich and successful, but he was the same as any other man. I tried not to judge, but after my daughter's last relationship, all rich men are bastards to me. But this one was different.

When I was alone again in the apartment, I started my routine by cleaning the plate I ate in. Once I was done, I took my shower and headed out for a quick walk. Even on our first week at the apartment, I've already gotten familiar with the streets. A few blocks from my walk, I reached a fresh market and decided to buy some vegetables that Andy can use to cook for tonight's meal. The place was buzzing with people and vehicles. I felt like an infant in a new environment. Everything was new and different since I grew up in a small town. The city was too noisy for my taste, but I couldn't go back there. Andy had a better chance of having a life here than back in that old farm.

I was about to head home when a car pulled up and startled me. I studied the familiar vehicle, but I didn't think I would know who was inside. Someone stepped out of the back passenger door, and it was someone I didn't expect to see today.

"Mr. Peterson, good morning," William greeted after closing the door behind him.

I studied his tailored navy suit and black tie, smiling at how well-dressed he always was. "William, morning. What can I do for you?" I asked, understanding that he had something he wanted. Why would he pull up?

"Can I have a minute of your time?" he asked.

"Sure, son. But if we are going to talk about my daughter, I think this isn't the place," I replied pointedly.

William smiled at my response and gestured towards his car. "How about I drive you back to your apartment, so we can chat on the way?" he offered.

I glance at the car and back at him in a second. "Well, that sounds good to me."

William opened the back door for me and held out his hand to take my groceries. I didn't hesitate to hand it over with a brief thank you. I slide ahead while he followed behind me and closed the door after. I noticed two men sat in front of the car. With a firm tone, I greeted them a quick 'good morning.'

"So, what is it that you want to talk about this morning?" I asked after the car drove away from the pavement.

William chuckled under his breath. "Now I know where Andy got her straightforward nature," he commented. "I actually want to get your permission, Mr. Peterson. I want to do this the old-fashioned way."

"If you are asking for my daughter's hand, I'm not sure we are seeing eye-to-eye here, son," I teased, not liking the tone of the conversation.

"No. I mean... Maybe in the future, but that isn't what I wanted to ask from you. I'm going to ask if I can date your daughter," he stammered in disbelief.

"Oh. Okay," I mumbled in thought, though I wasn't embarrassed for pointing it out. "I thought Andy and you are already dating. Didn't you take her to dinner for the past week?"

"Yes, but it's not yet official, as per her words," he replied sourly.

I watched his face drop in disappointment. For some reason, the expression on his face made me laugh. My daughter had gotten tough with men, and I wouldn't hold it against her. She had the right to be tough.

"Sure, you can date my daughter," I stated proudly.

"Thank you, Mr. Peterson," he replied enthusiastically. His happiness was almost palpable.

I smiled back at his infectious grin. "Is that all you're going to talk about with me?" I inquired.

After those words left my mouth, the smile on his face dropped. "No. I have another thing to ask. A few weeks ago, I headed up to your friend's home, Billy Henderson. He told me a few things about Andy and you..." he trailed off in thought.

Watching the serious look on his face, it was like talking to a different person. "What did Billy tell you?" I asked, turning away from him and staring at the headrest of the driver's seat.

"Just a gist on Andy's past relationship, and about your illness," he softly replied.

"I see."

"Did you know about the diagnosis?"

"I've known since we moved here three months ago."

"Why didn't you tell her?"

"I couldn't. How can I tell her that I have only one year left?"

~~~~

Available to read here on Wattpad. Check it out now. 

Thank you for reading. :)