Chapter 17

"The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost... a dance." McGonagall stated. All the boys groaned, but the girls seemed a bit more excited. Well apart from Neville. Gryffindor was sat in the great hall for some sort of dance practice. You could dance but it just felt awkward.

"Silence. The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons." McGonagall told off. Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight. Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr Weasley, will you join me." McGonagall asked.

You tried to disguise your laugh with a cough as McGonagall grabbed Ron. "Now put your hand on my waist." McGonagall instructed.

"Where?" Ron asked sheepishly.

"My waist." McGonagall repeated.

As Ron puts his hand on her waist Fred and George wolf whistled and cheered along with some other boys.

"And bend your arm. Mr filch if you please." The music started to play as the two of them danced. "One two three, one two three, one two three." She counted. It was the best thing you'd seen in awhile, after Malfoy being turned into a ferret."Everybody come together." She announced. You and the rest of the girls stood up instantly, but the boys slouched in their seats and tried to avoid eye contact with anybody. "Boys on your feet." She demanded. Neville stood up but the rest were still not moving.

The dance practice was ok, you danced with Seamus and then Ron, but it did make you start to worry about the dance. Who was you going to go with? You're too scared to ask somebody yourself and it didn't seem very positive about somebody asking you.

-

"So Hermione... anybody on your radar?" You questioned as you sat outside with her on a wall that overlooked the school grounds.

"There's someone." She grinned.

"Does his first name begin with Vik and last name end with tor?" You teased.

"Maybe. Maybe not." She smiled, but hid her face in her book.

"Hey can i borrow Y/N for a second?" You looked up and saw Cedric standing there.

"Sure." Hermione answered. You got up and followed Cedric a few metres or so away from where you was originally sat.

"Y/N, i was thinking er- if you're erm." Cedric stammered.

"What?" You asked in confusion.

"Would you maybe, if nobody has already asked you, like to go to the Yule Ball with me?" Cedric asked with a small smile.

"I would love to!" You grinned and hugged him. He kissed your cheek and hugged you back, which made your stomach flip.

You and Cedric talked for a while before he said goodbye and went back to the castle. You ran over to Hermione with a huge smile on your face.

"Y/N..." Hermione began trying to figure out why you looked so happy. "No! He asked you to the Yule Ball didn't he?" She exclaimed and closed her book.

"Yes!" You burst out. She jumped up and hugged you. You never normally was this giddy but this was the first time a boy had actually shown some sort of interest in you.

"I'm so happy for you Y/N!" Hermione chuckled as she put her hands together.

"So am I." You laughed.

-

You, Ron, Harry and Hermione were sat by the lake just talking when Viktor Krum ran past the four of you. He briefly smiled at Hermione who coughed uncomfortably. He continued running as about seven girls chased after him. You grinned at her which she returned with a frown, trying to hide the fact that she was blushing because of Krum.

-

You were on your way up to the owlery to deliver a letter to your parents. Just an update on everything and about the tri wizard tournament etc etc. It had started to get cold but sadly no snow had fallen yet. You were nearly at the top of the stairs when Malfoy turned the corner. Instantly a smirk spread across his face.

"What are you smirking at ferret boy?" You quizzed stepping up torwards him.

"Nothing at all." Malfoy answered rather suspiciously, but you didn't question it because he smirked all the time. You was now at the top of the staircase and standing in front of Malfoy who was blocking your path. "what brings you here on this fine winter's morning?"

"What do you think? I don't just come to the owlery for fun." You answered.

"Well it wouldn't be a shock considering the boring life you lead." Malfoy said.

"Yes my life is very boring I think about how sad I am every day and wonder when the day will come that I won't be boring anymore." You replied sarcastically and put your hand on your forehead. Malfoy chuckled at this and moved to the left of the arch so you could get past him.

You thought that that would be the end of it but no. Malfoy decided to follow you up to where your owl was perched.
"Yes stalker?" You said as you handed your letter to your owl and turned to face Malfoy.

"Stalker where?" He asked and looked behind him. You nudged him playfully.

"I'm talking about you following me up here." You said.

"I didn't follow you. I just came to look at the view of the castle." Malfoy lied.

"And I'm Dumbledore." You said rolling your eyes.

"So do you have a date for the Yule ball?" Malfoy asked changing the subject as he leant against the wall facing you.

"Is this your way of asking me?" You teased.

"You wish Y/L/N." He scoffed.

"Then it's none of your business is it Malfoy?" You said with a smile and began to walk away.

"Guess nobody has asked you." He said quietly. You span around and glared at him.

"And why do you feel the need to assume that Malfoy?" You asked.

"I didn't assume, it's a fact."

"Oh is it? If it's a fact then I must have dreamt that somebody did ask me." You spat. Why did Malfoy have to wind you up? "You're a prick you know that right?"

"Thanks for the update."

"Whatever I'm leaving." You huffed running your hand through your hair.

"So am I! what a coincidence." Malfoy smirked.

"Not with me." You said walking away and going down the steps.

__________________________

Thank you for reading! Remember to vote of you enjoyed this chapter :)

-maisie 🧸